[SOLVED] Build for home use and little gaming

Aviram.89

Prominent
May 2, 2020
Hi everyone!

I’m looking for some advice for building a new PC for a general home and office usage, with occasional gaming.
(Games such as Sims 4, on a HD 60hz monitor. Low/medium settings is ok).
The important thing is a smooth experience while using windows, office apps, web browsing, Netflix, etc.

So I did my research and figured this build:

CPU: Ryzen 3400g
MB: b450
RAM: 16 (2x8) Gb, around 3000mhz
Storage: SATA ssd , 250gb or even 500, plus a 1 TB hard drive.
Psu: 450-500w.

I wish to ask some questions, please keep in mind the aforementioned uses:

1. CPU: Is the Ryzen 3400g a good idea? I think a discrete GPU will blow the budget too much, and the Vega 11 seems a good deal. Or shall I go with the 3200g? Is Vega 8 and the fewer thread count going to be a noticeable difference?

2. Is 16 go of RAM too much ?
And what about the speed? Should I insist on at least 3000mhz?

3. Is a SATA Ssd going to be noticeably worse than a Nvme m.2 (or whatever the new stuff is)?

4. Is a 80+ Psu with no additional name of a metal is still good?
(For instance 80+ vs 80+ bronze)

5. I figured I should give quite a headroom for future upgrades if I’ll need it - such as a low end GPU like 1050 or equivalent, so this is why I chose at least 450w psu.
Will this system work well with such Gpu?

So, what do you guys think?
Thanks !

Last edited:
Solution
Hi everyone!

I’m looking for some advice for building a new PC for a general home and office usage, with occasional gaming.
The important thing is a smooth experience while using windows, office apps, web browsing, Netflix, etc.

1. CPU: Is the Ryzen 3400g a good idea? I think a discrete GPU will blow the budget too much, and the Vega 11 seems a good deal. Or shall I go with the 3200g? Is Vega 8 and the...
Hi everyone!

1. CPU: Is the Ryzen 3400g a good idea? I think a discrete GPU will blow the budget too much, and the Vega 11 seems a good deal. Or shall I go with the 3200g? Is Vega 8 and the fewer thread count going to be a noticeable difference?

2. Is 16 go of RAM too much ?
And what about the speed? Should I insist on at least 3000mhz?

3. Is a SATA Ssd going to be noticeably worse than a Nvme m.2 (or whatever the new stuff is)?

4. Is a 80+ Psu with no additional name of a metal is still good?
(For instance 80+ vs 80+ bronze)

5. I figured I should give quite a headroom for future upgrades if I’ll need it - such as a low end GPU like 1050 or equivalent, so this is why I chose at least 450w psu.
Will this system work well with such Gpu?

So, what do you guys think?
Thanks !
Great and balanced office build.
  1. yes. 3400G
  2. no. DDR4-2933 is max the CPU will handle.
  3. It is not the interface (SATA vs NVMe) you should be worried about, but the read/write performance of that specific device you look into. Those interfaces are faster than reasonably priced SSDs. Also, I would skip anything smaller than 500GB and take no HDD at all.
  4. For future upgrades, I would look into something that has a 7 yr warranty. A higher load rating will usually have a longer life too.
  5. Well enough for a better card too.

Solution

Aviram.89

Prominent
May 2, 2020
Thanks for a quick response!

Do I have to search for a 2933mhz RAM, or can I use a 3000 for instance? (assuming the system will run in 2933).

What's your reason for leaving the HDD behind?

Thanks for a quick response!

Do I have to search for a 2933mhz RAM, or can I use a 3000 for instance? (assuming the system will run in 2933).

What's your reason for leaving the HDD behind?
You can get a 4000 RAM too, it is just going to work at 2933. Check the compatibility of the specific RAM you choose against motherboard support (memory QVL on motherboard support website). That will reassure it works out of the box.

You can always add HDD later if you run out of free space and need to. For the money spent on it now, I would rather get a larger SSD (1TB is a good spot).