Question Build for Professional (Game Development) use + Gaming

Sep 29, 2024
Hello everyone,

I'm pretty much new to building computers, even though I develop software for a living I don't know much about hardware.
I put together one of the worst possible builds through PCPartPicker, I'm here seeking for advice from more experienced builders.

If you can detail the reason behind each part's improvement, I'd be very grateful, as I'm trying to learn.
Thanks in advance to whoever will contribute!

Capture.png

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
Let's start at the beginning. Some changes can be made depending on how much you're willing to spend and how tight your budget is.

I understand the 12700KF is cheaper than the 12700K, as it does not have integrated graphics. However, despite you selecting a dedicated video card, I would personally forgo the KF variant. Aside from being able to utilize the onboard graphics (saving some resources for your video card to do more important work), it is also nice to have for troubleshooting purposes. The extra 15 dollars you are spending to get onboard graphics will come in handy down the road. Swap to the 12700K.

The cooler you selected is adequate and the paste is industry leading. If you are looking to save a few bucks, however, the couple degree difference you may see when using Kryonaut will not be measureable when looking at real world performance. I personally like buying nicer paste for my systems, but, realistically, you would be just fine going with the stock paste your cooler comes with. Just some food for thought.

When picking a motherboard, make sure it has enough IO to suit your needs. That includes how many USB ports you may want, what type of networking it supports, and any expansion slots for additional PCIe cards or disk drives you may want to add down the road. For me personally, I prefer more USB ports on my motherboards, because I have many peripherals, but as long as you're satisfied with what it provides that board will serve you well. You avoided a common pitfall of spending way too much on a motherboard for diminishing returns.

As far as your memory selection, I would grab something with tighter timings and less latency. Intel is not as picky with regard to memory selection as AMD, but for twenty bucks I would grab the kit with more performance. This Corsair Vengeance kit is a good choice. The speed is the same, however, the latency is lower on this kit. Because memory is responsible for reading and caching data, lower latency results in less time between making requests and caching data for the system, resulting in better performance. It is a small difference, but when reading gigabytes of data, memory with high latency can quickly show its weakness over a kit with lower latency.

As far as your storage, I would prefer something more reliable. Samsung and Sabrent make some of the best SSDs on the market, and while they do cost more, I would not want to risk losing my data due to buying a lower quality drive. Aside from reliability concerns, the SSD you selected does not have a DRAM cache. Simply put, DRAM cache allows modern SSD's to store frequently accessed data temporarily, which significantly boosts performance. A SSD without this fundamental cache can sometimes perform slower than a physical spinning hard drive. This isn't necessarily a problem for your second drive, but your system will feel more responsive with a proper SSD that has a DRAM cache for your Windows installation. Furthermore, you can save some money with buying one 2TB SSD, and simply putting a partition on it if you want it to behave as two separate drives. This also frees up an NVMe slot if you choose to add more in the future. The Samsung 990 Pro is a great SSD with outstanding performance, and it has a DRAM cache for blazingly fast speeds.

The video card comes down to what you intend to do with it, but if you are not planning on gaming, an AMD GPU will provide much better bang for buck and will save you money. A good entry level 7000 card would be something like the Radeon 7600. As far as raw performance, the 4060 typically fairs better, but again, if you aren't using it to game, it may be more valuable to save the 50 bucks.

Case selection is completely subjective, and the Corsair 4000D Airflow is a solid choice. Similar to the motherboard, pay attention to the IO. If one front USB 3.0 port and one USB Type C isn't enough for you, grab something else that will suit your needs.

Your power supply is a fantastic choice. It is somewhat overkill for your needs, and you would be perfectly fine going with this cheaper 650 watt model, but if you're willing to spend the extra thirty bucks for more headroom, that's okay too.

That just about wraps it up. I'll leave a link to the new system here for your reference.

Last edited: