Question Build for RDR2 @ 4K Ultra

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Hi

I'm looking to do purpose-built PC to play RDR2 @ 4K ultra, close to 144Hz. I'm on a (kinda flexible) budget.

Parts I already have in my current build:
Case
SSD
2x 16GB DDR4-3200 CAS22

Parts that I'm looking at:
A good Z690 (or whatever else
ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4 Intel Z690
i5-12500
1KW platinum power supply (platinum to better handle the transient power spikes) e.g. Super Flower SF-1000F14MP
3080 12GB card

I'm tempted to buy the 3080 12GB now rather than wait since the absolute cheapest price in my country is +- USD775, but I can wait.

Any thoughts please? Do you think/guess that whichever 4xxx that will cost USD775 will give better framerates than the 3080 12GB?

Thank you
Andrew

Do you think/guess that whichever 4xxx that will cost USD775 will give better framerates than the 3080 12GB?
reports are that performance will increase quite a bit but what prices we will see upon launch is impossible to tell for now.

if you have something to use for now i would suggest just sticking with it and waiting to see.
even if the performance increases aren't as large as are being reported, the prices of RTX 30 series cards could possibly drop quite a bit when the new series arrives.

plus Intel 13 gen is arriving later this year so you may want to hold off on the build entirely for now.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
reports are that performance will increase quite a bit but what prices we will see upon launch is impossible to tell for now.
Just rumours though. I'll personally be surprised if we see more than a 10% jump, 15% even.

if you have something to use for now i would suggest just sticking with it and waiting to see.
I currently have an RX 470 4GB. My system is from the BF1 era - I tend to stick with my machines for a long, long time.

the prices of RTX 30 series cards could possibly drop quite a bit when the new series arrives... plus Intel 13 gen is arriving later this year
Yeah, thanks, I'm also waiting for 13th gen to see what falls from the tree. It's not urgent. I don't want to spend money on 3rd party cooling unless I HAVE to, so maybe even a discounted i7-12700 non-K might be nice. (My BF1 era machine is an i7-6700 non-K and it's still pulling it's weight so far. #GrandpaSkylake ;- )

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
In my own opinion of 4K, it's doable at this point, but very expensive.
I'm getting a 4K monitor for work purposes to replace my current multi-monitor setup, so I'm happy to upgrade my system to match it.

If you opt to go with a 12500 I think it would be wise to consider a high end DDR5 board such as to set you up for a higher end CPU of 13th gen.
I've considered that, and if I go that way it's extra cost for RAM - a lot of extra. I might just drop down to the (hopefully?) higher performing 13th gen version of the i3-12100 and then upgrade "properly" later when the i7-13700K is cheaper. (hence the hig end motherboard I want to buy)

the small included heatsinks & weak fans cannot handle high frequency boosts for long enough to keep cool while gaming.
Thanks, I'll do some more research for this. The included 12th gen i5 cooler is apparently better than they used to be with their copper slug centres again.

Last edited: