Build for Video Editing Premiere CS6 on a Budget

soloalpinist

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2012
Hello All:
I'm looking for input as I have not built before.
I'm a Pro Photographer, but keep getting requests for Video shoots/editing.

What I have: Windows 7 , keyboard, mouse, wacom tablet
(2) WD 3TB USB 3.0 Externall HDs
(2) Dell 2410 1920x1200 Monitors
Adobe Master Suite CS6

I don't do any gaming

Here are my needs:
Build Timeline: within 1 month
Working in Adobe Master Suite CS6 (Premiere Pro, After Effects, Encore ,Photoshop)
Editing ACVHD Video (short videos now but anticipate longer produtions)
GPU compatible with Mercury Playback Engine
I'd like an system that can handle my current needs but that I can expand as needed.
Budget: Close to $1000 as possible

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
If you are not gaming, them AMD is the budget build of choice with the FX-8350. It is great for rendering, photoshopping, ad video editing. I noticed that you have external HDDs but you will need an internal to hold some data. I added an SSD because you will enjoy the performance of R/W speeds over traditional HDDs. 16GB RAM is a must and workstation graphics cards are better for video/photo editing. CS6 supports OpenGL so DirectX cards would be out of the picture. Here is what I suggest. You will definitely want a motherboard (USB 3.0 header for case) and case that support USB 3.0 for your external HDDs.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($106.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($112.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: ATI FirePro V5800 1GB Video Card ($356.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone SST-RL01B-USB 3.0 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($42.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1007.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-19 14:05 EST-0500)

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
If you look close enough at those benchmarks, you will see that in the area of importance to the OP, the FX-8350 is pretty neck and neck with the i7 and is like $120 cheaper. The microcenter deal is in-store pickup only so maybe the OP lives near one.

Furthermore, I did some more research on FirePro and Mercury and there seems to be support for it. So you should think about this when selecting the GPU.

Check out this link

http://blogs.amd.com/fusion/2012/09...review-of-adobe-premiere-pro-unveiled-at-ibc/

You could save some big time cash here.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Definitely get with a Nvidia card. I prefer AMD personally, but the truth is that for photo/video editing, Nvidia has better optimizations and a lot more utility is found with CUDA cores. On the CPU side the AMD 8350 is the best you can get on a tight budget, particularly with that Nvidia card in there.

Get a 120 or 240 GB SSD for the OS and program installs, and get a HDD for storage. Unfortunately I'm not sure how much use you'll manage from those external drives beyond backup or something along those lines.

jemm

Distinguished
For what you need, within you budge I´d suggest you the following:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.74 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB Video Card ($254.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($85.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($37.77 @ Mac Connection)
Total: $902.45
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-19 16:03 EST-0500)

CS6 new engine supports openCL and will work equally as well with AMD or nVidia cards .
Previous generations only worked with nVidia

CS6 runs some taks multithreaded , and some single threaded . Most of the time the AMD cpu will be fine , but in a few tasks its gong to be slower because of iintels stronger single thread performance

If I was building this machine I'd use something like
Budget Z77 motherboard , probably the Asrock Extreme4
2 x8 gig of RAM
Radeon 7850

I'd much rather have cpu power , than gpu power

soloalpinist

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2012
Thanks for all the input. I' done some reading and it seems the best overall choice (at this time) is to go with and Intel CPU/Nvidia GPU to maximize performance in Master Suite CS5/CS6.

I'm confused as to the differnece/benefits ofNvidia Quadro and GeForce GPUs for my needs... will a GEForce be sufficient (as they are cheaper) ?

Also... a key factor for me is to start off with a basic system and expand/grow as my video demands increase (if they do). With this in mind are their CPU/GPU/Motherboard combos that wouls facilitate expansion better than others?

Finally... which Intel/Nvidia CPU/GPU combination gives the best bang-for-the-buck at this point? (I'm not at good at understanding benchmarks)

Thanks in advance for your input....

soloalpinist

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2012

I'm posting here below the original post as it seems to have gone cold...

Thanks for all the input below. I've done some reading and it seems the best overall choice (at this time) is to go with and Intel CPU/Nvidia GPU to maximize performance in Master Suite CS5/CS6. AMD with Windows 7 and Premiere don't seem to be the best choice.

I'm confused as to the difference/benefits of Nvidia Quadro and GeForce GPUs for my needs... will a GEForce be sufficient (as they are cheaper) ?

Also... a key factor for me is to start off with a basic system and expand/grow as my video demands increase (if they do). With this in mind are their CPU/GPU/Motherboard combos that wouls facilitate expansion better than others?

Finally... With a budget in mind...which Intel CPU/ Nvidia GPU combination gives the best bang-for-the-buck at this point? (I'm not at good at understanding benchmarks) for my needs?

Thanks in advance for your input....

TRENDING THREADS