Question Build from Hell : Please help

ravenxarmy

Commendable
Jun 2, 2020
I'm by no means an expert but I build a PC when I need one. In the past 15 years this is the 3rd computer that I build. In the previous builds everything was pretty straight forward. Pretty much plug and play. Not so much this time around.

I will try to include as many details as possible and all the fixes I attempted so far:

I started with the following components:

NZXT h710i case
MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
Intel CPU Core i9-9900K
NZXT Kraken X73 cooler
Patriot Viper Gaming DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz 4x8GB
ZOTAC RTX 2070 Super (twin fan)
HP SSD M.2 EX950 Series PCIe Gen3 (8Gb/s)x4, NVMe1.3/3D TLC/SDRAM
Corsair RM850 PSU

I put everything together and problems followed. As I turned it on, all of them RGB lights lit up like a christmas tree except that nothing came up on the screen. All black. I don't know how long it took me to find the problem. A long time. I started booting with one stick of them Vipers at a time and on the 3rd try I got to the BIOS screen. Of the 4 Vipers 3 were non-usable. One barely usable. I managed to install windows on that one viper but it wouldn't really work later on. At all.

I sent the Viper memory back and got what I should have gotten from the beginning:
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200mhz 4x8GB

Popped those in, wiped that HP NVMe with the diskpart and did a clean install. Everything started to work like a dream. Or so I thought.
After the second restart it started to take forever to get to the MSI motherboard logo.
I would get the black screen for the longest time and then the MSI logo would appear only to go into the PC repair mode. Over and over again prompting me to repair Windows, reinstall, refresh, whatever.

I tried:
Testing all disks (I had that HP NVMe for system and 3x Seagate Barracudas for storage)
I tested with crystal disk and the seagate tools, no errors on disks but every restart I continued getting the "Windows couldn't load correctly" screen.

I even bought another NVMe, the Corsair one with the really cool heatsink on it and installed Windows on that one, in the other NVMe slot on the motherboard, still "Windows couldn't load correctly".

I removed all of the sleeved extensions (other than the one going into the GPU as it is right in your face) still "Windows couldn't load correctly"
I thought that maybe the SATA cables or SATA slots might have something to do with this so I bought new cables and tried plugging the disks into different SATA slots on the motherboard and still "Windows couldn't load correctly" and into the repair screen.

I am now beginning to think that maybe my motherboard is somehow faulty. I nearly bought the ROG MAXIMUS XI CODE the other day but I thought I'll ask here first.
Oh, and one more thing I noticed:

Usually when I start the PC from cold it takes anything between 3 to 10min of black screen then I get the motherboard MSI logo and then it goes into the repair mode. I try all the repairs etc and at the next restart it's a 50/50 chance that it will do it again, or it will start up as it should.
I noticed that when on the repair screen, if I just force power it off (with the power button) and then start up it will nearly always start up without any errors. No black screen, directly into the MSI logo. Which is pretty much how I am using it now.
Power on > repair mode > power off by holding the start button for some seconds > power on again - boots immediately without any errors.
It's now running on Windows 10 Pro x64 OS build 19041.329

I have no idea what's going on. That double start up is highly annoying. Please give some suggestions, sorry for the long post and thank you for reading all this.

blacky1

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I'm by no means an expert but I build a PC when I need one. In the past 15 years this is the 3rd computer that I build. In the previous builds everything was pretty straight forward. Pretty much plug and play. Not so much this time around.

I will try to include as many details as possible and all the fixes I attempted so far:

I started with the following components:

NZXT h710i case
MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
Intel CPU Core i9-9900K
NZXT Kraken X73 cooler
Patriot Viper Gaming DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz 4x8GB
ZOTAC RTX 2070 Super (twin fan)
HP SSD M.2 EX950 Series PCIe Gen3 (8Gb/s)x4, NVMe1.3/3D TLC/SDRAM
Corsair RM850 PSU

I put everything together and problems followed. As I turned it on, all of them RGB lights lit up like a christmas tree except that nothing came up on the screen. All black. I don't know how long it took me to find the problem. A long time. I started booting with one stick of them Vipers at a time and on the 3rd try I got to the BIOS screen. Of the 4 Vipers 3 were non-usable. One barely usable. I managed to install windows on that one viper but it wouldn't really work later on. At all.

I sent the Viper memory back and got what I should have gotten from the beginning:
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200mhz 4x8GB

Popped those in, wiped that HP NVMe with the diskpart and did a clean install. Everything started to work like a dream. Or so I thought.
After the second restart it started to take forever to get to the MSI motherboard logo.
I would get the black screen for the longest time and then the MSI logo would appear only to go into the PC repair mode. Over and over again prompting me to repair Windows, reinstall, refresh, whatever.

I tried:
Testing all disks (I had that HP NVMe for system and 3x Seagate Barracudas for storage)
I tested with crystal disk and the seagate tools, no errors on disks but every restart I continued getting the "Windows couldn't load correctly" screen.

I even bought another NVMe, the Corsair one with the really cool heatsink on it and installed Windows on that one, in the other NVMe slot on the motherboard, still "Windows couldn't load correctly".

I removed all of the sleeved extensions (other than the one going into the GPU as it is right in your face) still "Windows couldn't load correctly"
I thought that maybe the SATA cables or SATA slots might have something to do with this so I bought new cables and tried plugging the disks into different SATA slots on the motherboard and still "Windows couldn't load correctly" and into the repair screen.

I am now beginning to think that maybe my motherboard is somehow faulty. I nearly bought the ROG MAXIMUS XI CODE the other day but I thought I'll ask here first.
Oh, and one more thing I noticed:

Usually when I start the PC from cold it takes anything between 3 to 10min of black screen then I get the motherboard MSI logo and then it goes into the repair mode. I try all the repairs etc and at the next restart it's a 50/50 chance that it will do it again, or it will start up as it should.
I noticed that when on the repair screen, if I just force power it off (with the power button) and then start up it will nearly always start up without any errors. No black screen, directly into the MSI logo. Which is pretty much how I am using it now.
Power on > repair mode > power off by holding the start button for some seconds > power on again - boots immediately without any errors.
It's now running on Windows 10 Pro x64 OS build 19041.329

I have no idea what's going on. That double start up is highly annoying. Please give some suggestions, sorry for the long post and thank you for reading all this.
i had a similar problem couple of days ago, the solution was simple. Windows was trying to load from the HDD that doesn't have the windows on it, and that's why it showed the error.
i checked the order of the boot \ boot priorities, and put the one i had the windows installed in the first boot place. it worked well after that

ravenxarmy

Commendable
Jun 2, 2020
Tried that. I made double sure that the boot order in bios is well... in order haha
It's got to be something else.

Edit:
I tried booting it with only one NVMe on the motherboard and the Seagates disconnected, it started up fine. Then I did some updates installed some usual stuff adobe, camera raw etc, nothing too crazy, restart and boom: Windows couldn't load correctly : Automatic repair screen

OH!!! one more thing! Just reminded myself. When I first installed nvidia drivers there was no problems. At some point they released the new driver, I installed that and the entire screen turned green hue (it turned purple when I turned off the night view thing that yellows the screen a bit)
It might afterall be that sleeved extension cable to the GPU???

I rolled back the driver and it went back to normal though.

Edit 2:
I also updated the BIOS to the newest version. Did not help.

Last edited:

ravenxarmy

Commendable
Jun 2, 2020
I've just read in another thread that someone received the very same motherboard with bent pins straight from the shop.
What are the chances that a bent pin might be causing this mess?

Is it worth having a look?

ravenxarmy

Commendable
Jun 2, 2020
I started putting the PC to sleep rather than turning it off but this morning, again, I started it (from sleep) into a black screen (all the rgb inside the case were on).
I don't have a reset button on my case or a mother board so > force power off > power on > works.
Interesting that all the windows were as I left them as if it started from sleep even though I did power it off.

I am beginning to think it's an issue between the GPU and monitor. Well, I say monitor, I have it hooked up with hdmi to a 4k tv. Could that be an issue at all?

Can cable extensions cause any problems in a build??