Mcleese902

Great
May 19, 2019
I've been slowly compiling the components to do a build . Now I'm here asking questions because pcpartpicker has failed me .
I have the following ; are they compatible or have I messed up ?

GIGABYTE H310M A - mobo
Intel i3-6100 - cpu
Gtx 750 ti - gpu
500w psu
Haven't gotten the ram yet but ddr4 2133 mhz ( as I've read the i3 6th gen won't run the 2400) anyway let me know if I've wasted my money thanks as always !

Solution
I'm confused ; the 6100 is 1151 as is the mobo . Why is it that they aren't compatible?
As much as I'd love to get high quality components ; I can't afford it and make due with what I have .

Thanks for the the quick responses !
It's a common misconception that the socket is the only thing that dictates compatibility between a CPU and a motherboard. Especially in newer generations.

CPUs can share the same socket but still require a completely different chipset, or in some chipsets, a compatible BIOS.

As far as the good quality components go, obviously your budget dictates yours needs, but just be wary that the one thing you should not go cheap on in any PC, is the PSU - its the one thing that powers every other component...

Mcleese902

Great
May 19, 2019
In what way has PC Part Picker failed you?

And no, the H310M A is a 8th / 9th gen board. 6100 is 6th Gen and not supported.

Also remember you don't want any 500W PSU, you want a good quality 500W unit.

I'm confused ; the 6100 is 1151 as is the mobo . Why is it that they aren't compatible?
As much as I'd love to get high quality components ; I can't afford it and make due with what I have .

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

It's a common misconception that the socket is the only thing that dictates compatibility between a CPU and a motherboard. Especially in newer generations.

CPUs can share the same socket but still require a completely different chipset, or in some chipsets, a compatible BIOS.

As far as the good quality components go, obviously your budget dictates yours needs, but just be wary that the one thing you should not go cheap on in any PC, is the PSU - its the one thing that powers every other component and is the thing that will protect your components should something go wrong.

Last thing we'd want you to have to suffer is buying new components for a poor quality PSU to fry them at some point (and it happens all to often! ).

Solution

Mcleese902

Great
May 19, 2019

As far as the good quality components go, obviously your budget dictates yours needs, but just be wary that the one thing you should not go cheap on in any PC, is the PSU - its the one thing that powers every other component and is the thing that will protect your components should something go wrong.

Last thing we'd want you to have to suffer is buying new components for a poor quality PSU to fry them at some point (and it happens all to often! ).
A misconception I wish I realized sooner , oh well that's why I enjoy this stuff . You're forever learning . I appreciate the answers . The psu now has me worried as its literally a " no name " lol . It'll have to do for now though .

So you have all of the above parts right?

I would buy some ddr4 2400 ram and a pentium g5400 as they will be compatible with your motherboard.https://www.newegg.com/intel-pentium-gold-g5400/p/N82E16819117875?item=N82E16819117875&ignorebbr=true&source=googleshopping&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-mobile&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-mobile--pla--processors+-+desktops-_-N82E16819117875&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrpLoBRD_ARIsAJd0BIU8h6nByx_RW92keX9vSpeBwWlDcuW3LWSXDvXEC7LIrWyeRz0uLeYaAthYEALw_wcB

You can sell the 6100.

Reactions: Mcleese902

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Not sure how PCPartPicker failed here - it won't even show you H310 motherboards if you've already selected an 6100.

Compatibility is far more than the socket.

And a quality power supply is the most important part. If you don't have the money to buy a power supply of even minimal quality, then you certainly won't have the money to replace the CPU, GPU, or motherboard it damages (or all of them).

Last edited:
Reactions: PC Tailor

Mcleese902

Great
May 19, 2019
So you have all of the above parts right?

I would buy some ddr4 2400 ram and a pentium g5400 as they will be compatible with your motherboard.https://www.newegg.com/intel-pentium-gold-g5400/p/N82E16819117875?item=N82E16819117875&ignorebbr=true&source=googleshopping&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-mobile&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-mobile--pla--processors+-+desktops-_-N82E16819117875&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrpLoBRD_ARIsAJd0BIU8h6nByx_RW92keX9vSpeBwWlDcuW3LWSXDvXEC7LIrWyeRz0uLeYaAthYEALw_wcB

You can sell the 6100.
I have some motherboards and CPUS to sell . Hoping I can get enough together for an i5 8th gen and some ram . Time will tell I suppose