Question Build issue - Not posting properly (potential upgrades)

richmparkinson

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
Hi,

I've had an issue for a while since building my PC. When I restart or first turn my PC on after being shut down. It refuses to post on first try. Fans spin up, all lights on, however keyboard and mouse stay dead and nothing on screen. After trying 3 times sometimes on the 4th when you leave it will come on. Sometimes takes 5-6 tries or leaving it for a while at full fan blast trying to power on and then it suddenly posts. Once its up and running, it runs flawless for days on end.

Few ideas from what I've seen could be PSU or Motherboard potentially. I've tried changing motherboard battery, resetting it multiple times, full no power shut downs, waiting 20 mins while off etc.

Also looking for any obvious and cheapish upgrades while im here :)

Here's the build:

Motherboard: ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) 3200 MHz
HDD: Corsair Force MP510 series 480GB NVMe PCIe M.2 Solid State Drive
PSU: 650W Cooler Master MWE 650 Bronze V2, Fully Wired, 80 PLUS Bronze

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Last edited:

richmparkinson

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
Update: I’ve tried CMOS restarts, chipset updates, moving and checking all cables. Tried RAM dual and single in each channel. At one point I thought this worked as my PC started up quickly twice in a row, only for it to take 4 mins to boot the next time. It seems to POST in safemode after a long wait, with the orange DRAM light on.

Last edited:

richmparkinson

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
Further update, I can not get it to boot properly with 1 stick of Ram in slot DIMM_B2, as soon as I add another I run into the same issues. I've tried both sticks of Ram in B2 and both work and start. I can only assume that the DIMM slots are faulty? However they do work and I have the full 16GB when it finally boots! 😡

richmparkinson

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
I’ve now put the whole system in a new case. Taken the CPU out, cleaned, re applied paste, got a new bracket for the cooler as the other was tight. Replaced and replugged in all components and still have the same issues. I played around with different ram speeds to see if any different and no joy.

I then played around with some new chasis fans and used the Fan tweaker and it changed the way they work (power).

when it starts now, it fires up the AIO fans for 1 second, the motherboard light flashes orange and the Corsair logo goes bright for a millisecond. To me it seems like it’s consistently shorting and maybe it’s to do with the AIO set up?

This is becoming very painful now. At least when it’s running, it’s completely stable and works well I guess m.