Build It: Half-Height Gaming PCs For The Living Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]shovenose[/nom]the antec sp-400 has issues! it has lousy fuhjyyu capactiros that fail even just sitting there. i suggest you find a different psu![/citation]

I've been using this one in my main HTPC for a couple years now at least. Haven't had any problems.

carlhenry

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
that's weird, a 160w power supply powering up a 5570? (and you also intended to slap in the 5750 there?) did i miss something?

Th-z

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Thanks for the article. I have a question, where do you find quality small PSU? If you want to go as small as you can, one would need to use small PSU. But it seems they are scarce in terms of wattage selection and brand, no where comparing to standard ATX PSU.

Many small mini-ITX cases do include a small PSU, but what if you want to mod the PSU, or the included one breaks down? Falling back to standard ATX PSU would have to use a bigger mini-ITX case.

Lian Li makes some very nice mini-itx cases that are not limited to half-height cards. I have a GTX460 in my PC-Q08R, using the ECS mobo that Tom's included in a value roundup of LGA1156 boards.
Too big? The PC-Q07 only has a single slot for the video card, but that would take the single-slot HD5770 that XFX makes: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150501 . Both cases will take a full sized ATX PSU; I would suggest a modular one, such as the 550W Antec Truepower New I am using in mine.

By the way, I found this article very interesting. Anyone can build a tower that is a reasonably competent gamer. "Smaller, quieter, less power" don't get the attention they deserve; these are ways to differentiate a PC.

fozzie76

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I wonder if your mini-ITX wavey case has fewer square inches then my Silverstone SG05? Yes the wavey is shorter, but it's also wider and longer, so which really has the smaller footprint?

fozzie76

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Tom's really needs a modder on staff. Are you all afraid of dremel's and wiring your own plugs or something? You could have totally shaved down that plug and made it fit! Mini-ITX systems take work and hours of modding. SFF systems take lots of time and love. Link to my baby below.. Mini-ITX SG05 with an i3-530 capable of 4.4ghz (currently at 4.0), a Corsair H50, 4gb of crucial tracer, a HIS IceQ 5770, modded a window and an UV light kit. Had to mod the CD bezel to get the H50 in also. Just give them a little time and don't be afraid to void some warranties!
Link to by baby

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Don, maybe you could get a good video card with passive heatsink and try to build a silent (or really quiet) box? I'm after a new gaming PC but I'm tired of noisy fans and huge cases...

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
We're talking about how the 450 can somehow fit in an HTPC and still work with the small PSU, of course 430s are available in low-profile form their the lowest 400 series card available.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Antec has a few great cases for this purpose.....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129040
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129039

Personally, I went full height and have my "gaming" htpc in a Fusion 430 Black
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129054

That case takes full height cards and full ATX power supplies. I have a 4890 in it with a Corsair HX650 and an Asus P5Q-EM with a Q9550. You could easily get one of the x58/p55 motherboards that supports SLI/CF too to get some considerable power into that footprint

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Whats the point, I have a HAF-932 in my living room and I couldnt be more happier with it. For those who dont know its a huge full-tower. The smaller the case is the harder it is to keep it cool, so you have to crank the fans. Pushing the fans becomes noisy, fast.

For the living room

Silent powerful full-tower > Noisy underpowered cube.

mliska1

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
I was just considering a microATX slim case and crossfiring two of these Powercolor half-height 5750's. Maybe you could try that for a future article?

The Lian Li PC-Q08 has two quiet fans; a front 140mm intake and a top 120mm exhaust. It is whisper-quiet, stays cool, and can fit any one double-slot card, even most of the longer ones. With its drive cage, you'll run out of SATA ports on your mobo before you run out of spaces to mount drives.

fullcircle_bflo

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
Something I noticed is that the power brick for the Xbox is external and huge. Now I am not sure if this is the same as a PCs power supply, but if they are the same, are external power supplies available? And if not, I'm going to need a capitol investor. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.