Build Advice [Build Log] Sleeper PC with RAID 1 array

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
I thought a build log would be a fun idea, so here goes... let me know if I posted it in the wrong place or with the wrong prefix or something, I wasn't sure?

[Build Log] Entry 1:

Years ago I built my first PC from hand-me-down parts, it cost me almost nothing and it worked:

C4JnZQI.jpg

^cables look a mess because RAID controller and HDD's have already been (not that carefully) removed

It ran windows XP on a Pentium 4 and once it got outdated I reduced it to the function of data storage RAID 1 array and my Lenovo ThinkPad became my main-use PC, that is until a few weeks ago when the old Intel motherboard died and I decided it was about time for an upgrade

My Plan: To build a reasonably powerful PC that will do video/photo editing and digital art etc... better than my laptop, and I still need a data storage RAID 1 array a long with a DVD RW drive

Also, because I'm fond of it, I'm using the same old case, hence the thread title 'Sleeper PC Build'

Hardware:

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
- GPU: Ryzen CPU internal graphics
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M Gaming, Micro-ATX
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz
Boot drive: 240GB Corsair MP510, M.2
HDD's for RAID array: 2x 1TB Seagate BarraCuda
PSU: 300W SilverStone SST-SX300-B, SFX Seiries
Case: the one in the above photo

Fans: 1x 60mm Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX, 3x 92mm Noctua REDUX-1600 PWM
Akasa 6 Port Internal Card Reader, 3.5'' drive bay
Asus DVD RW optical drive, 5.25'' drive bay
ICY BOX IB-168SK-B Trayless HotSwap 3.5'' HDD port, 5.25'' drive bay

Everything is ordered, it should come tomorrow, and I already have the CPU (second hand):

ChEYJVx.jpg

More updates coming soon ;)

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
[Build Log] Entry 7:

not the most exciting update in the world, but I finally have the fan grills installed:

QYcaJpY.jpg

I did want to do the lighting but my cables are to short, so instead of waiting for another thing to come through the post I'll extend them with a soldering iron and some heat-shrink, a job for tomorrow I think ;)

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
[Build Log] Entry 8:

Desk mod: I think this is related enough to up-load here?

I'll admit that I have a weird set-up, my PC is on a workshop bench, for years I haven't used that PC for anything other than a file backup, so the poor ergonomics of having nowhere to put my knees and needing to lean forwards over the keyboard hasn't been a problem, I thought it was about time to improve things so I can use it comfortably, and without compromising the usability of the workbench when the keyboard is put back in the cupboard

My solution, a removable Keyboard and mouse tray:

sals3nL.jpg

I had to get creative with the shape because there's only a narrow slot for this to fasten to, and I added the pivoting bit at the side for the mouse so the whole assembly folds small enough to fit down the side of my desk when I'm not using it, the bolt is just tight enough not to move on it's own but loose enough to fold up, and I know this is a very rough solution but it seems to work

and yeah, I did get distracted from the lighting :oops:

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
[Build Log] Entry 9:

Finally I got around to the lighting :) I extended the wires (soldering iron/heat shrink) so they reached to the front of the case without being visible:

Sk9EFIw.jpg

dv53Seq.jpg

I just used red LED's powered from the PSU Molex so I don't have to worry about RGB controllers

All that remained now was a few finishing touches, there's nothing better than an original Intel Pentium 4 sticker to complete the case of a sleeper build, of course the ryzen sticker is there to, it's just hiding on the black plastic of the HDD caddy:

KaDIIeo.jpg

and I couldn't resist a before and after picture:

w38OSTe.jpg

it's all finished, yey 🆒 I had no idea how much time I would spend on this when I started but it's been an awesome project for lock-down

Note: Thanks to @siaan312, @Lee Dawson and @USAFRet with you're help on this thread: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...rips-safe-for-my-build.3687601/#post-22212888 with my light positioning question, and thanks to everyone else on this forum who helped me learn enough about modern hardware to do this project :)