Question Build optimization issues - RAM modules and airflow

PieterVD

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
Hey all,

Recently I had some issues with my RAM and sent it back for inspection, in the meanwhile I bought new (same specced) RGB ram. When the inspection was completed they decided I was entitled for new RAM under warranty. So now I have the possibly of upgrading my system with the extra RAM I have laying around. This however comes with a few issues:

Are the 2 RAM modules compatible?
Original: G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C16D-16GTZKW (2x8GB)
Newly bought: G.Skill 16 GB F4-3200C16D-16GTZR (2x8GB)
To me these look like they would work togheter.

RAM channel clearance issue
Due to the dimensions of the CPU cooler the fan overlaps on the first RAM channel. This isn't a huge problem while running 2X8GB RAM but it does prohibit me from slotting the extra RAM I have laying around. Due to the dimensions of the case I can't just put the fan a bit higher up as I only have 1mm clearance between the CPU cooler and the case.

My initial thought:
The CPU cooler fan is new pushing air through the cooler and is located on the right side of the cooler. I was thinking about switching this around and make it pull air through so It would free up the first RAM channel. I would then use the spare 140mm fan and mount it as an intake fan in the case to compensate for the changtes in airflow. But I don't know if this is the most optimal solution.

Limitations
The original goal of the build was to make a silent, clean and well performing build. I would like to keep it that way. I'm limited in PWM headers on the motherboard and they are oddly located as well. I can't seem to share pictures on this subreddit but feel free to ask me for pictures if it is possible to share another way.

Full part list:
  • be quiet! Dark Rock 3
  • Samsung 960 EVO MZ-V6E250BW
  • G.Skill 16 GB F4-3200C16D-16GTZR (2x8GB)
  • Asus GeForce RTX 2080 ROG-STRIX RTX2080-O8G-GAMING
  • NZXT Source 340
  • WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB - 3.5"
  • Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING
  • EVGA Supernova 750 G3
  • Intel Core i7 8700
  • 2 be quiet! silent wings 120 mm fans
Spare parts:
  • be quiet! Pure Wings 2 140mm
  • G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C16D-16GTZKW
Thank you for reading and if you have any questions or have a better idea feel free to share!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS