Question Build Or Wait?

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I already bought all of my parts, including 2700x, x470, etc etc...

I have bought them a little at a time over an almost TWO year period, believe it or not, without opening anything still.

I've even sold off parts to buy newer ones as newer parts came out over that time.

My current pc is mighty close to stopping working, I'm thinking. It freezes up a lot and I have some issue where I can never ever restart it or shut it down or I am forced to reset windows 10.

Should I go ahead and build, finally, or should I try to deal with the wonky pc and reselling parts and get a 3700x? Rumors say July.... If it were May I'd almost for sure wait. It's supposed to have 12 cores, 24 threads, cost less than intel, etc...

Or maybe I should get intel... I keep eharing everyone say "latency" is a major issue with amds.

Buy and build the PC when you need the upgrade, its generally a waste of money and effort to piece it together over time without actually doing anything with it.

Not only do you have money tied up in hardware you arent using, you are also running down your warranties for no good reason.

Either build it now, or sell what you have until you are ready.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I still came out better buying them over time. I spent around $1100-$1200 and even by TODAY'S prices I recently priced them at around $1800, I believe.

It would be very foolish to build now if I want the upgrade to 3700x. That would be throwing hundreds more away, compared with selling my cpu and mobo right now.

So it all comes down to whether I'd feel the need to have the 3700x. MOST of the time I only do normal pc usage with nothing intensive. But even if I would only rarely edit or rarely game, I still hate the idea of when I DO either of those, it will be significantly slower than the 3700x.

Also, as I said, people say amd sucks because of latency, so now I am confused whether to even build an amd at all.

I already bought all of my parts, including 2700x, x470, etc etc...

I have bought them a little at a time over an almost TWO year period, believe it or not, without opening anything still.

I've even sold off parts to buy newer ones as newer parts came out over that time.

My current pc is mighty close to stopping working, I'm thinking. It freezes up a lot and I have some issue where I can never ever restart it or shut it down or I am forced to reset windows 10.

Should I go ahead and build, finally, or should I try to deal with the wonky pc and reselling parts and get a 3700x? Rumors say July.... If it were May I'd almost for sure wait. It's supposed to have 12 cores, 24 threads, cost less than intel, etc...

Or maybe I should get intel... I keep eharing everyone say "latency" is a major issue with amds.
Which x470 MB do you have ? Which RAM ? You may need to flash newest BIOS for all to work properly.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Which x470 MB do you have ? Which RAM ? You may need to flash newest BIOS for all to work properly.
I actually have 2 x470 mobos. I first bought the atx fatal1ty x470 and then I thought I really would rather have a smaller case, so I bought the itx version of it at a good price (under $100 after all discounts). So I am deciding whether to sell my original one or return the new one and stick with an atx case. I have a midtower I was also going to have to sell either way because I didn't research enough to realize it's not a quiet case.

The RAM is optimized for intel, but that's like 95% of RAM kits... It's a g.skill trident z 32gb 3200 with 15 latency. (oddly enough the QVL shows for both the 14 and 15 latency ones they only post at 2933.)

2700x practically requires overclockable MB so PBO/XFR (turbo) can work to it's fullest. I prefer full ATX mbs because of more flexibility with more RAM and PCIe slots, usually more USB and other ports too, specially SATA ports.
Anyway, even 2700x is good enough for now and some time to come so no reason to wait for 3000 series. It will run decently anything you can throw at it.

Last edited:

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
if it required it, it would already be upped by amd. any OCing is at your own risk and it makes parts break sooner. if someone has to do workarounds to use the cpu I might as well go with intel.

I know the tradeoffs due to mobo size. But every case I find that is under 18 ionches tall and is quiet requires something smaller than an atx mobo.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Oops. I may have misunderstood you. You may have been saying not that overclocking itself is necessary, but that the turbo feature rewuires the same characteristics int eh mobo as overclocking would? Either way, I about have to use what I have on mobo UNLESS I do wait for 3700x, then I'll sell one of these, return the other, and buy an x570.

Btw, just to show how much I probably "don't" need the best tech... I am using an ancient amd cpu currently. Years and years before ryzen was a thing. But I did buy an odyssey+ and a 1070ti, so even though I don't game, it would be good to have a good system in case I do start gaming on it, since I already went overboard on parts compared to my normal usage.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
So what I have to decide now is:

1. is the mini c case worth having to use the itx mobo I bought, ie losing 2 RAM slots is mostly the only loss that matters. But it gains me wifi, whereas with the atx mobo I have to install wifi.

2. use 2700x or wait for 3700x.

That's about what it all boils down to.

For #1, if I don't stick with the itx mobo, I'd either use the define c case or an r6.... but if I get an r6 I'd want to add a BR burner which is even MORE money PLUS the extra cost of the case.

And what sucks is I don't NEED a big case. All I have is 1 ssd, 1 or 2 hdds, 1 gpu. Even the mini c would have a lot of wasted space... But I am forced to get a bigger case than I want because most small ones are rated poorly for noise and/or heat. At least the mini c is a balance and the r6 is even better by having good cooling and low sound issues.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I'm so unsure what to do here. :( The 3700x will likely be around 40% faster... a huge jump. But waiting for that means not only the 3 months of waiting, but means reselling practically all of my parts I spent 2 years buying.

And I don't really NEED anything even as good as the 2600, let alone 2700x. But it's just the principle of why spend close to the same amount for something 40% slower?

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
well, if you CAN wait, you might want to. Those new Ryzen's are going to be very nice.
I technically could barely wait until then, but I'd have to sell a lot of unopened products... 2700x, x470, I already changed my mind on a case, by the time 3700x is out I'd probably rather have a 1tb Samsung evo or pro instead of the 512 I bought.

So I dunno. I can't decide. And I'd hate to stick with an x470 since we all know they'll throw in a new feature for x570.

Also, I'd have to try to keep my pc running that long. lol. I can't even restart it or it messes windows up and forces a reset of win 10.

D

Deleted member 14196

then probably best not to wait. there is always the future and the 2700X is a BEAST of a cpu, tons of power and speed. I use one everyday at work, it's one of the VM servers, that one is my favorite because it's so nice.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
then probably best not to wait. there is always the future and the 2700X is a BEAST of a cpu, tons of power and speed. I use one everyday at work, it's one of the VM servers, that one is my favorite because it's so nice.
what I could do is maybe build now and then upgrade it later, but honestly I don't think i'd do it because 1. not much longer before they stop using AM4. 2. I have this thing where I'm worried I'll get shocked if working in a case that isn't ALL new parts. ie, in the beginning you know they haven't had electricity running through them, but when changing out a part, you're working where electricity has been flowing.

If you already have all parts, build it, you can upgrade CPU later when you feel you need it and if you sell 2700x you will not loose much. I changed from initial 1600x to 1700x and than to 2700x with a loss of about 50 bucks. 3rd gen is more than likely to work fine in a good x470 MB.
As for your "thing" about electricity, only place that can shock you is power cord, beyond that highest voltage is 12v with most other voltages 3.3v or less.

g-unit1111

Titan
If you already have all parts, build it, you can upgrade CPU later when you feel you need it and if you sell 2700x you will not loose much. I changed from initial 1600x to 1700x and than to 2700x with a loss of about 50 bucks. 3rd gen is more than likely to work fine in a good x470 MB.
As for your "thing" about electricity, only place that can shock you is power cord, beyond that highest voltage is 12v with most other voltages 3.3v or less.

Normally I don't advise building to upgrade because then you'll just keep adding on and adding on, and you'll spend twice as much and then you're left with drawers of parts that you'll never use. But on the other hand, if you already have all your parts you might as well build it and then upgrade. The 2700X should be viable for a long time. Yeah you could wait for the 3850X which will bring 16 core / 32 threads for less than $500. But if you already have a solid B450 / X470 board then you can just flash the BIOS and drop in a 3850X when they're avialable.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Normally I don't advise building to upgrade because then you'll just keep adding on and adding on, and you'll spend twice as much and then you're left with drawers of parts that you'll never use. But on the other hand, if you already have all your parts you might as well build it and then upgrade. The 2700X should be viable for a long time. Yeah you could wait for the 3850X which will bring 16 core / 32 threads for less than $500. But if you already have a solid B450 / X470 board then you can just flash the BIOS and drop in a 3850X when they're avialable.
well, depends what you call solid mobo because some consider asrick a budget brand, but their mobos are generally more expensive than a lot of other brands' mid-range ones. And I see a lot of negativity about gigabyte and msi lately. So it about leaves asus and asrock.

I keep saying I am tempted to wait, but then my pc reminds me how it would be waiting... My pc just took probably 5 MINUTES for me to simply get cttl + alt + del to bring up the task manager to try to close a browser window that was locked up. I am having a lot of lockups lately.

g-unit1111

Titan
well, depends what you call solid mobo because some consider asrick a budget brand, but their mobos are generally more expensive than a lot of other brands' mid-range ones. And I see a lot of negativity about gigabyte and msi lately. So it about leaves asus and asrock.

Asrock makes a lot of solid motherboards, I've had a couple of them over the years and have had no complaints. My current X370 Taichi is an excellent board. My other system has a Gigabyte Designare and that's also a solid board. Every brand has hit-or-miss products.

I keep saying I am tempted to wait, but then my pc reminds me how it would be waiting... My pc just took probably 5 MINUTES for me to simply get cttl + alt + del to bring up the task manager to try to close a browser window that was locked up. I am having a lot of lockups lately.

There really isn't much you can go from here in terms of waiting, you might as well just build. The only step up from the 2700X will be the 3850X, and there's currently not a whole lot new on the GPU front for a while, at least. And I wouldn't bank on AMD bringing anything new to the table in that area. You could go with a Radeon VII but they're hit or miss.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
IF I build now, the next thing to figure out is whether or not having a more compact case is worth the losses of using an itx mobo.

I have an atx x470 that I bought almost a year ago. I have an itx x470 that is still returnable, that I got at a crazy low price of udner $100, al discounts considered.

So I have to either sell the atx one and my asus wifi card or I have to return the itx mobo and sacrifice case smallness.

The r6 case is insanely big for someone who has always had compact prebults. I wanted the mini c. Techniocally the define c is BARELY bigger than the mini c and would allow e to use the atx mobo… but then I'd have to install wireless myself, as well.

TRENDING THREADS