Question Build PC's 4 a Living?

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015
Would anyone know here if there is such a place to just build PC's? Possibly in my area, I'm in a town below Philadelphia, Pa. Unfortunately moving is not an option. Sure I like basic PC & Networking repair but building computers makes me really happy more than anything. Is this a pipe dream or do I have hope?

USAFRet

Titan
Would anyone know here if there is such a place to just build PC's? Possibly in my area, I'm in a town below Philadelphia, Pa. Unfortunately moving is not an option. Sure I like basic PC & Networking repair but building computers makes me really happy more than anything. Is this a pipe dream or do I have hope?
What do you mean by "a place"?

Somewhere to get hired, building systems and other stuff?
Or a facility where you rent space to build them?

I've done this since 2015. I build out of my home/office and have a "build room" made out of our guest room. Anti-static surfaces, test setups, etc. I've got a website and an order platform with advertising on facebook marketplace and other free posting websites. Typically I build 3-4 a month so about 1 a week. Its still probably a hobby but it makes me a bit extra money and its fun. If you really want to do it you should just do it! Also before I set up my build room I contacted a local computer repair business and asked if I could build computers/sell through them and they agreed if they got 25% cut. I said yes and did several (maybe 20?) for them. I didn't do repair or have a set schedule but I was able to work from their office/storefront.

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015
I was thinking of something like a company or division that just builds computers like NZXT new build a PC department. I don't want to give up on my dream but where I live there are no options.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Do you have any experience? I doubt anyone has ever really stumbled in to their "dream job" especially in IT with little or no experience. Chances are, unless you live in a very remote area, there are places around that need entry level helpdesk/tech support. My advice is to do that and gain some experience, feel your way through different aspects of the business, get some certifications in the mean time, then maybe (if building PC's is really your dream job) eventually jump on board with a big name manufacturer building show PC's or setting up PC's for gaming events & shows/LANs/competition

But like USAFRet said if you enjoy building PCs for yourself, friends, whatever, in the comfort your own home: getting paid to do that is going to be a drastically different atmosphere, assembly line style

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015
Do you have any experience? I doubt anyone has ever really stumbled in to their "dream job" especially in IT with little or no experience. Chances are, unless you live in a very remote area, there are places around that need entry level helpdesk/tech support. My advice is to do that and gain some experience, feel your way through different aspects of the business, get some certifications in the mean time, then maybe (if building PC's is really your dream job) eventually jump on board with a big name manufacturer building show PC's or setting up PC's for gaming events & shows/LANs/competition

But like USAFRet said if you enjoy building PCs for yourself, friends, whatever, in the comfort your own home: getting paid to do that is going to be a drastically different atmosphere, assembly line style

I have plenty of experience. When I was in Vo-Tech for Computer Integration & Support the school had a contract with a company that had us build computers for them. I personally have built over 2,000 computers there and have done several since but that was 15 years ago. I don't have the physical copy of my degree anymore but I do have a digital copy. I'm limited to my area because of a legal reason where I can't leave the county. I would have tried some local PC repair shops but here there are only about 2 and everytime I ask they are never hiring.

TRENDING THREADS