Question Build problem, how to test CPU?

IrishCatGod

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
I've been building for some time, but have ran into a doozy. My mom's computer ate the dust after many years, so I decided to build her a new one. Got it all together, using her old hard drives and wifi card. Everything else brand new. Power's on, fans go, LED lights up, no post and no video. I tested a RAM stick at a time, bought another new power supply, still getting the same thing. Took the CPU off to see if there was a bent pin or something but doesn't look like there's any problem there.

Unfortunately, I am on a tighter budget than I normally would be, and the extra power supply has already set me back. Anyone know what else I could try? I am at my wit's end, been building for a long time and never had anything persist this much. As far as I know, I have no way of testing the CPU or motherboard without buying new ones, which I would very much like to try and avoid.

Thanks for your time.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU(s) and drive(s) information.

(Note: If modular PSUs do not mix and match cables between PSUs. Use only the cables that came with the PSU being installed.)

No beep codes? Some pattern of long and short beeps (listen carefully). You may need to install a small speaker to hear the beeps.

Make and model motherboard? Check version number and download the applicable User Guide/Manual.

Refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to double check all connections and configuration settings.

Pay close attention to all fine print, caveats, warnings, notes, and so forth. Details matter.

For example, some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM stick be placed in a specific slot.

Most User Guides also refer you back to the manufacturer's website for more up-to-date information. Be sure to do that.

The other problem is the use of "old hard drives". That may work, may work with forever problems, or not work at all.

Start with a single drive and do a clean install.

FYI - from this Forum:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366

LunarDapp

Reputable
Sep 10, 2018
Place a 4-pin POST speaker in the motherboard, then take out all RAM, disconnect everything except the Main motherboard power connector and the CPU power connector. Leave the CPU in, and disconnect HDD and SATA. The only things that should be on the board.

• CPU
  • CPU power connector
  • Motherboard power connector
  • CPU fan connector
  • 4-pin POST speaker connector(motherboard will have a 4 pin specifically for this or it's on the system panel header F_PANEL)
You can even go as far as to rule out the Power Supply by using one that you know has worked before on a functioning system.

If the POST speaker makes any sound whatsoever, you're good to go to rule out Motherboard and CPU fail. Begin by adding connections back ONE at a time. When you find that the POST speaker makes no sound whatsoever, you've found the problem.

If only using the list above to start as your connections and your post speaker makes no sound upon boot it's a CPU or Motherboard fail (if you use a tried and true PSU). However before you call the fail, make sure that the motherboard has its BIOS flashed to the latest release version, and that the respective CPU you've slotted is actually compatible with the board.

TRENDING THREADS