Build Advice Build problem, no display output, compatibility or software issue?

Apr 12, 2020
In the last week I've been helping my friend build his first gaming pc. To start off, here are the specs:
Case: nzxt h210
PSU: Corsair 80+ gold modular 650w
Mobo: Msi B450i gaming plus ac (b450 in mini-itx form factor)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (Research later showed this cpu doesn't support RAM faster than something like 2800mhz)
RAM: Cor. Vengence 2x8gb 3700mhz (after this ^ we bought the same RAM set but 2400mhz)
GPU: Gtx 1660 super (I believe Zotac)
(Brand new) monitor mentioned: aoc g2590fx

The pc turns on, we get the initial light flash on the motherboard, sounds like its running perfectly, no surging, no high fan speed, all fans spinning, no debug lights turn on, although we had one previously because we had not screwed the stock amd wraith cooler until the screws bottomed out (cpu light, no temp. reading is my guess). It seems like its starting perfectly, but we just cannot seem to get output from the gpu. Only sort of thing i could think of is we are using an hdmi cable between his graphics card and his AOC monitor (144hz, I believe g-sync compatible), and since this computer has no drivers, probably an old bios, and no OS, the 1660 is defaulting to outputting from a displayport, or the bios version does not know what to do with the card. Since the CPU is only a 1600, there is no onboard graphics capabilities so we've ruled out using the motherboard ports. We're testing using a DP cable later tonight, but if it doesn't work another option I'm considering is bringing my 1060 and trying to get driver-less display so we can install windows and drivers. Any ideas? Quick responses would be helpful as it is hard to get pc parts during a pandemic lol

Apr 12, 2020
I figured since g-sync is only supported through DP, the monitor might get the hdmi connection, read it as a gsync compatible card, and automatically look for a DP connection?

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
PCIe x16 Video Card (GPU) should default to a basic output (800x600 or such) on at least one of the outputs with no drivers installed. OTHERWISE, how would you install the OS and the drivers on a new system without anything to look at??

1.) Have you tested BOTH HDMI inputs on the AOC G2590FX monitor?
2.) Have you tested the AOC G2590FX monitor on a known, working system (laptop)?
3.) Have you tried a VGA (DB-15) connector from the GPU? NVM ONLY has DP and HDMI...
4.) Have you tried the GTX1660 in the other PCI x16 slot? NVM B450I SFF ONLY HAS ONE(1) PCIe x16
5.) You are right to try the DisplayPort cable (try this first);
6. ) REMOVE HDD or SSD (sometimes, when they are bad, the PC will appear to be running normally, but it's just locked up);
7.) IF all this fails, try the "spare GPU" (GTX1060) in the system;
8.) If the "spare GPU" (GTX1060) works, then try the GTX1660 in a known, working system.

Start HERE --> :)

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020
sorry for the long silence but we got it running! When we first found out about the cooler not being tightened all the way we re-seated the cpu but bent 2 of the very outside pins D: whipped out the credit card got em straight and and correctly seated. Booted right up!

Apr 12, 2020
After we got everything installed we put the 3700mh ram back in and it handled it no problem? Pcpartpicker didn't catch the "incompatability" so maybe it was old info