[SOLVED] Build problem - power button does not respond

Mar 28, 2021
I am building a pc for one of my kids with used parts. I have done this a couple of times before with good rsults.

Motherboard - ROG STRIX B450-I
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Case - phanteks a500
PSU - evga supernova G3 550w
RAM - HyperX Fury DDR4 3200MHz 16GB (2x 8GB)
GPU - ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual OC

I have assembled everything and when I push the power button on the case it does not respond. The power light on the motherboard is on and RGB lights on the back of the motherboard is also on. I have re-connected the system panel connectors several times and red the manual carefully.

I am not sure where to start and if there is something wrong with the case, cables or connectors. Or if the problem might be in the motherboard.

Any suggestions as to where the problem is most likely to be?

Solution
It is easy to get disoriented and connect the PWR leads to the wrong place.
Orient yourself to the location of the open hole in the front panel connector.

If you think you got this right, test the motherboard power on capability by using a flat bladed screwdriver to momentarily touch the two PWR pins.
If this works, you likely have a front panel wire with a break somewhere or the switch is damaged.
Phanteks customer support will likely send you a replacement gratis.

If the motherboard does not start, recheck all of your power connections.
You may need to remove the motherboard from the case to eliminate case shorts as an issue.
Try testing with only minimal components.
It is easy to get disoriented and connect the PWR leads to the wrong place.
Orient yourself to the location of the open hole in the front panel connector.

If you think you got this right, test the motherboard power on capability by using a flat bladed screwdriver to momentarily touch the two PWR pins.
If this works, you likely have a front panel wire with a break somewhere or the switch is damaged.
Phanteks customer support will likely send you a replacement gratis.

If the motherboard does not start, recheck all of your power connections.
You may need to remove the motherboard from the case to eliminate case shorts as an issue.
Try testing with only minimal components.

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You may know all this, but just in case ... A common error in new builds is not getting the stand-offs positioned correctly, leading to a short circuit from a mobo bottom trace to the case. IF you need info on this, see my post of Dec 12/20 in this thread

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...sult-in-a-lose-of-data.3670519/#post-22107308

It was written for someone moving from one case to another, but it will apply to a new build.