[Build Ready] Looking for feedback on build

Polaski27

Reputable
May 19, 2014
This is a build I created a few months ago but had to put off until now. I wanted to build a computer that was semi affordable, capable of gaming, and that I could perform some media editing on (mainly Photoshop and film). I would greatly appreciate feedback and comments from anyone interested in checking it out. Follow the link to the build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Polaski27/saved/3chy

Solution
z97 is more future proof so that was a good idea. apparently asus changed their motherboards so now even the basic models are black (and not the ugly colors they were before). the z97-c (and similar models) are looking nice.

you looked into the wrong ram. this is the ram i was talking about. its not on sale right at this moment but i've seen it down at $72 almost every other week. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

i just wanted to let you know that after os you will only have about 60gb to use on the ssd. it is your decision if this is enough space to use or if you would be better off getting a larger ssd.
doesnt look bad however i'd make a few changes:

go with a 4670k processor (you have an overclockable motherboard but a non o/c cpu) or if you dont want to overclock just go with a h87 (or h97) board.

z97/h97 is out now. you could go this route if you want to maybe put a new cpu in your system in the future. the new cpus will support z97 but might not support z87.

i'd go with gskill ripjaws 1866 cas 9 ram. its $72 (cheaper than what you have) for 8gb (2x4) and faster.

you could probably go with a cheaper case like the cougar solution and use money elsewhere in the build like towards a btter video card (if you can get

i'm not sure why you went with a micro atx motherboard. i would suggest staying full atx so you have more options or if you want micro atx perhaps getting a smaller sized case (cougar spike isnt bad for a small case and i've seen it as low as $25 on sale). the big cases will have more airflow though (so are better if you want to overclock)

keep in mind that a 120gb ssd will only have 60gb useable space after you install the OS (which is around 30gb) because you dont want to fill them past 80% capacity or else you might decrease the life expectancy of your drive.

Polaski27

Reputable
May 19, 2014
I changed the motheboard to an H97 Performance ATX LGA1150. Then I went to change the RAM to the cheaper one you specified and it gave me this compatibility error:

G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory is 204-pin SODIMM form factor, but the ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard only accepts 240-pin DIMM form factor RAM

Also when you say to keep in mind how much of the SSD I will actually be able to comfortably use do you think I'd be better off changing my SSD?

z97 is more future proof so that was a good idea. apparently asus changed their motherboards so now even the basic models are black (and not the ugly colors they were before). the z97-c (and similar models) are looking nice.

you looked into the wrong ram. this is the ram i was talking about. its not on sale right at this moment but i've seen it down at $72 almost every other week. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

i just wanted to let you know that after os you will only have about 60gb to use on the ssd. it is your decision if this is enough space to use or if you would be better off getting a larger ssd.

Solution

Polaski27

Reputable
May 19, 2014
Okay I think I fixed the RAM compatibility issue but wasn't letting me find the two RAM parts together so I simply put them in separate for the sake of pcpartpicker. As for the SSD I think I'm comfortable with that amount unless you think gaming and some media editing will definitely require more.