Question Build Review: Please Let Me Know of Any Suggestions Before I Buy Parts

ArtemisPrim

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2015
Based on very general research, the below build seems like it should be fine for a mid-level gamer. This PC is going to be used for steaming video, gaming on steam (such as COD or Resident Evil) on both my TV to replace my very old Xbox 360 and as a standard PC using monitors, and to play World of Warcraft. My TV is 4K and I haven’t bought a new computer monitor yet but will be upgrading that early next year.

Please let me know if there is a component that is very of the mark or should be substituted with a different one.

I am aware that AMD just released a new CPU that requires a AM5 socket, I just think for my purposes, an AM4 build will work for 3+ years. I am currently on a ASUS laptop, which is getting old.

Thank you.

https://newegg.io/6f787e0

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Black ATX Flexible Dark Tinted Tempered Glass Window Mid Tower Computer Case
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - Ryzen 7 5000 Series Vermeer (Zen 3) 8-Core 3.8 GHz Socket AM4 105W Desktop Processor - 100-100000063WOF
ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING WIFI II AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 128GB (4 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 4000 (PC4 32000) Desktop Memory Model F4-4000C18Q-128GTZR
ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC Edition Graphics Card (PCIe 4.0, 10GB GDDR6X, LHR, HDMI 2.1, DisplayPort 1.4a, Dual Ball Fan Bearings, Military-grade Certification, GPU Tweak II)
Seasonic FOCUS PX-850, 850W 80+ Platinum Full-Modular, Fan Control in Fanless, Silent, and Cooling Mode, 10 Year Warranty, Perfect Power Supply for Gaming and Various Application, SSR-850PX.
SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 2TB PCIe Gen 4.0 x4, NVMe 1.3c Samsung V-NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V8P2T0B/AM
Cooler Master MasterAir MA620M Dual Tower ARGB High Performance CPU Air Cooler, 6 CDC 2.0 Heatpipes, SF120R Fan, Hexagon Strip Addressable RGB Lighting for AMD Ryzen/Intel LGA1200/1151
Windows 10 Home - Full Version 32 & 64-bit (USB Flash Drive)

Well, you can save money and improve in a few ways.

Better performing and much less expensive cooler.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LGY38L4?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Also, unless you specifically feel like you need to, there is no reason to buy the Full version 32 & 64 bit version of Windows 10. Just buy the plain old Windows 10 Home. You have no need for the 32 bit version of Windows on that build, or any other these days really. It will cost less for the standard Home Windows 10 version.

The rest looks pretty ok.

ArtemisPrim

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2015
Well, you can save money and improve in a few ways.

Better performing and much less expensive cooler.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LGY38L4?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Also, unless you specifically feel like you need to, there is no reason to buy the Full version 32 & 64 bit version of Windows 10. Just buy the plain old Windows 10 Home. You have no need for the 32 bit version of Windows on that build, or any other these days really. It will cost less for the standard Home Windows 10 version.

The rest looks pretty ok.

Would this build be good for using on my 4K TV and as a regular PC?

I just want the USB verson of Windows to hopefully make installing easier. I don't have a CD device currenly and wan't planning to buy one just yet.

Last edited:

ArtemisPrim

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2015
I would like to keep the Cooler as a Fan and Heatsink, not use liquid cooling. Are there specific Coolers that you would recommend that would be a improvement on Darkbreezes option?

For the RAM, I was thinking it would be better to go for 128GB even if its more than enough. Should I try for only two memory sticks instead?

Are there any other improvements to the build you can see or anything that is mismatched?

CPU cooler not enough for top CPU performance but might make it on 5700x, not much slower than 5800x.
4000MHz with 4 slots filled and 128GB is too optimistic, up to 3600MHz would be enough and sure to work.

I would like to keep the Cooler as a Fan and Heatsink, not use liquid cooling. Are there specific Coolers that you would recommend that would be a improvement on Darkbreezes option?

For the RAM, I was thinking it would be better to go for 128GB even if its more than enough. Should I try for only two memory sticks instead?

Are there any other improvements to the build you can see or anything that is mismatched?

All the RAM in the world would not help that GPU and 128GBis really, really excessive unless PC is used a server or for large database or graphic/multimedia projects. better to put that money (over 32GB) to better use,

Reactions: Why_Me
Hold on. Are you planning to buy one of the Newegg assembled units or are you planning to pay for one of the Newegg build it custom nightmares where you choose your parts, they assemble it and ship it to you, then you ship it back 47 times because it's never right?

If you're going to do that, you might just as well save yourself some money and buy one of the aneurysm inducing builds from Cyberpower PC or iBuypower PC, because none of them are worth a pile of bird turds unless you're able to correct assembly and configuration problems yourself, and if you are able to do that you are able to built it. Otherwise, you would be much better off just buying the parts and paying a reputable local builder to assemble and configure it for you.

And I agree on the memory. I missed that you had 128GB earlier with four DIMM slots populated. You don't, in any way, need that. I guarantee you don't, and won't ever, be running anything that could even remotely utilize even half that much memory.

Two 16GB DIMMs is more than enough, MORE than enough, for this, or any other build where very high dollar professional video editing, scientific, 3D/CAD or graphics applications, or extremely complex/or many VMs, are not being used.

If you want a halfway decent 4k gaming machine? Build this, either yourself or have it built for you. Just as good of CPU for this type of system. Even better CPU cooler. MUCH better graphics card. Better, higher capacity power supply, so that transient spikes will not be a concern. An extra 2TB of PCIe NVME storage for fast game file access. And it's 300 bucks cheaper with the only concession being half as much memory, that you didn't need anyhow. Even for streaming, very high end home streaming, 32GB would be enough and I gave you 64GB. You could drop to 32GB, still have about 16GB more than you'll likely ever use, and save maybe another 100 bucks.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($199.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright ARO-M14G 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Taichi Razer Edition ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($214.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card ($1499.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2922.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-25 21:05 EST-0500