[SOLVED] Build Review

Sep 11, 2021
Full disclaimer, i am going thru Origin for this.

hoping to get some feed on any potential issues/problems with this set up? (or things that are 'over built')?

Case : Corsair 5000D
Exterior Color : Black
Motherboard : ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
Processors : Intel Core i9 10900K 10-Core 3.7GHz (5.3GHz TurboBoost)
CPU Overclocking
Thermal Compound
Memory : 32GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 3200MHz RGB (2x16GB)
System Cooling : CORSAIR H150i PRO XT RGB Cooler
System Fans : ORIGIN PC Maximum Fan Kit
Graphics Cards : NVIDIA 24GB GeForce RTX 3090
GPU : 1
Operating System : MS Windows 10 Home "Free Upgrade to Windows 11¹(when available, see Learn More)“
Operating System Drive : 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2
RAID : No RAID
Hard Drive : 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2
Hard Drive : 1
Power Supply : CORSAIR 850X RMX SERIES PLUS GOLD - White
Power Supply Sleeved Cable : No Sleeved Cable
Audio : Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 Plus
Networking : Onboard Network Port

Solution
Those numbers are marketing cotton candy, meant to attract candy lovers.
In practice, those drives can't shine over Gen 3 unless moving large packs of data between 2 or more of the same drive.
If just downloading files off the net, the limitation is going to be the ISP.
When running games, well:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YoRKQy-UO4

question on the overclocking, if i didn't get the intel chip overclocked from Origin, it sounds like i can use the Asus mother board to do that if i wanted to?
You absolutely could manage it yourself. You'd be giving Origin 20 bucks for the heck of it otherwise.
Sep 11, 2021
the only thing i was looking at was possibly changing the drives out from Samsung to:

CORSAIR 1TB MP600 PRO Gen4

Overclocking was only an extra 20$..... honestly I've never messed with overclocking before.

Home PC for remote log in to work, typical home stuff (music, internet, wifi, streaming,, photos etc. no video editing or broadcasting except Zoom/Teams).

Microsoft flight sim/DCS etc.

And possibly/probably going to get Revit and Acad for home. Light use as i mainly log into my work PC for that.

i typically hold onto things for a while, so i am hoping this set up will last for a bit.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That storage drive doesn't really offer anything over the Samsungs, and the internal controllers are harder to cool on Gen 4 NVMes, defeating what little speed advantage they might have if you can't stop them from throttling.

You're not missing much with overclocking. It's not what it used to be back during the Sandy Bridge days.
That cpu is already snappy; just give it a negative Vcore offset to help keep it nice and cool.
The higher power consumption and thermals from the overclock are going to overshadow the small bump in speed.

Sep 11, 2021
That storage drive doesn't really offer anything over the Samsungs, and the internal controllers are harder to cool on Gen 4 NVMes, defeating what little speed advantage they might have if you can't stop them from throttling.

You're not missing much with overclocking. It's not what it used to be back during the Sandy Bridge days.
That cpu is already snappy; just give it a negative Vcore offset to help keep it nice and cool.
The higher power consumption and thermals from the overclock are going to overshadow the small bump in speed.

really? so the read/write speed from 3500 to 6500 wont really be a noticeable difference at all?

I have to admit, its pretty weird looking at the numbers and not thinking i'm missing out. i guess this goes to show where its one thing to be able to read the specs, but totally different to actually understand them.

question on the overclocking, if i didn't get the intel chip overclocked from Origin, it sounds like i can use the Asus mother board to do that if i wanted to?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Those numbers are marketing cotton candy, meant to attract candy lovers.
In practice, those drives can't shine over Gen 3 unless moving large packs of data between 2 or more of the same drive.
If just downloading files off the net, the limitation is going to be the ISP.
When running games, well:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YoRKQy-UO4

You absolutely could manage it yourself. You'd be giving Origin 20 bucks for the heck of it otherwise.

Reactions: bfng
Solution

TRENDING THREADS