[SOLVED] build ryzen 5 with upgrade path to ryzen 9?

rtayek

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
hi, i came up with this build. my budget is $1,000 now and i can probably toss another $1,000/year at it over the next few years. so i went with what i thought was one of the better mobo's and the cheapest ryzen i could find and minimal core. i am not a gamer so i really don't need a fancy video card. i have a lot of extra ssd's and other peripherals laying around, so i really only need the chip, mobo, ram, case, and power supply. i probably also need fans and coolers.

byw, i was going to go with a ryzen 3, but the 5 was cheaper and has more cores.

so the upgrade plan was to wait a year and fill up ram. wait another year to upgrade the cpu. hopefully prices will have come down. is this a sane idea or am i all wet?

i am a programmer and a spin up a lot of docker images so i really want lots of cores and ram.

Edit 1: forgot to mention that i will be running linux, probably a recent ubuntu.

thanks

Last edited:
Is there a feature you want on that motherboard? Otherwise it looks very expensive when a board 1/2 the price can still run a 5900x or even 5950x.

Don’t plan on adding RAM. It is not guaranteed to work even if you buy the exact same make and model. RAM is sold in matched kits for a reason, buy the amount of RAM you need/want. See the odd man out section here https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

Reactions: Why_Me and kurdtnz
Solution

rtayek

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Is there a feature you want on that motherboard? ... a board 1/2 the price can still run a 5900x or even 5950x.

Don’t plan on adding RAM. It is not guaranteed to work ...

no particular feature, it was #1 on someon'es review. i just wanted the best mobo i could afford so it could handle the higher ryzen 9's as well as whatever improvements happened over the last 10 years (my current syetm is an 8350/gigabyte 990fxa).

as far as ram goes, i would toss the 2 8gb guys and get 128 gb (assuming that the prices go down, if not can i just get 64 then and 64 later?).

since i am basically building a $4-5K machine over a number of years, i just wanted to get the best mobo that i could that would last 5-10 years.

i heard that the ryzen series is at the end of it's lifecycle. not sure what impact that will have on availability of cheaper ryzen 9's.

this guy has two PCIe 4.0 slots (new to me) - there is probably a bunch of other improvements over my old system that i am not aware of.

thanks

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
To be frank, that is a terrible balance. Not sure this is any driver support, for that GPU, anymore, so I would go with a GT 710 instead.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($93.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Team T-Force Cardea Zero Z330 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GT 710 2 GB Video Card ($73.34 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CXF 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Corsair)
Custom: Vetroo V5 CPU Air Cooler w/ 5 Heat Pipes 120mm PWM Processor Fan Intel/AMD Universal Socket w/Addressable RGB Lights (V5, Black) ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $907.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-24 16:09 EDT-0400

rtayek

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
thanks for the good info on cooler, case and power supply.

To be frank, that is a terrible balance.

yes, it's way off balance. but it's probably comparable to what i have except that it will be running linux. nut i am hoping it will balance out in a few years with extra ram and faster chip.

i have lot's of ssd's and hard drives laying around, so no need for any drives.

Not sure this is any driver support, for that GPU, anymore, so I would go with a GT 710 instead.

good to know.

also, i wanted to stay with the zen 3/x570 stuff.

thanks

Last edited: