Build shuts down when in sleep. Won't boot without a bios reset

Ph1lmer

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
I have built my computer a few months back. Running windows 10. Here are the parts
Cpu: i7 4790k
Gpu: gtx 970
Mobo: Asus maximus hero vii
Psu: evga 1050 watt
Corsair liquid cooler
32gb ballistic ram

My problem is that when my computer goes to sleep or is shut off for more than 10 minutes or so it dies completely and won't turn on. The only way I can get it to boot is if I unplug my monitors then unplug my power cord for about a minute and then reset my bios. I doubt it's a hardware issue and I don't where to start if it's software problem.

boodaddy

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015
Need more clarification.

1. Are you loosing video signal, but the computer is still has power?
2. is the computer shutting off completely?

Could a PSU issue that getting ready to die, and is surging. The surge will reset by unplugging the PSU for a short time. Really need more clarification on what is going on.

Unplugging the monitors should have nothing to do with it. Next time only unplug the power cord to the PSU, and see if it does the same thing.

Try this first... Disable the computer and monitors going in to sleep mode for testing.

1. Go in to settings
2. Click on System
3. Cick on power & Sleep
4. Under Screen "On Battery Power turn off after" Use the dropdown and select "Never"
5. Under Screen"When plugged in, turn off after" Use the dropdown and select "Never"
6. Do the same for both under Sleep

This will stop the display & computer from going to sleep mode. Let it run this way for a day. If it is still running post back. If it still shuts down after this, it could be a PSU issue.

Use screensaver for this test, or just hit the power button on your monitors to shut them off (temporarily) until you know for sure what is causing this.

Ph1lmer

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015

First of all thank you much for your reply.
1. No my video signal is just fine. And also you are right about it having nothing to do with the monitors.
2. Yes the computer shuts off completely. The mobo is still lit up but that is it.

If it was a PSU surge how could I know for sure?

Did what you said, computer is still running perfectly when it is on. If I shut off all my monitors then turn them back on everything is still good.

Found out that if I unplug my psu for around 10 minutes then plug it back in it boots up normally and everything runs great. Also if i shut down my computer it has the same problem as when going to sleep, it wont turn back on without being unplugged.
Have never had my computer randomly die on me.

boodaddy

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015

It definitely sounds like a short somewhere, or a PSU going out. There is a really good thread on this topic that a lot of users have joined. Below is the link. Give it a read, it's packed with other info, and solutions that other users tried and worked. If you have any questions about anything post back.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/281365-28-computer-shuts-wont-turn-back-unplug