[SOLVED] Build to replace last build in 2012

Feb 25, 2020
Approximate Purchase Date: Hopefully order by tomorrow 02/27/2020.

Budget Range: $1000-$1500 OTD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No wasn't planning on it but may in the future.

Parts to Upgrade: Mobo-CPU-RAM-GPU-PSU-Storage

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Parts Preferences: Bang for Buck aside from wanting to stick with Nvidia GPU

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 2 1920 x 1080 Monitors

Additional Comments: Bang for buck is most important to me. Bling and Plexiglas not on my radar.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: The computer I am currently using I built in 2012 with the following components:

Current system:

Case - ACTS 840

Monitors(2) - HP Compaq LA2306x

Processor - Intel Core i7-3770K

Mobo - Asus Sabertooth Z77 LGA 1155

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB

GPU - Asus GeForce GTX 670

I have not kept up on current trends and figure building a new computer would be a great way to get back into it. Aside from it being a lot of fun.

The build I was looking at:

Reusing my current case and Monitors.

CPU - AMD RYZEN 5 3600

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

Mobo - MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GM

Boot Drive - Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Storage - 2 - Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2 TB 7200 HD's

GPU - Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super

PSU - Corsair RM Series RM750 CP-9020195-NA

OS - Windows 10 64 bit PRO

I just want to make sure I'm on the right track and nothings is showing red flags to someone with more current knowledge than myself. I'm sure I can find some of components cheaper than on Newegg and I have no problem going elsewhere if needed.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Solution
I concur on the case. That case doesn't look well ventilated. With my Ryzen 3600, I see load temps of 72-73. Keep in mind I'm using an AMD wraith prism cooler which is probably not much worse than a hyper 212. I also have 6 fans running in my case.

To be honest, I think I'm ok with my CPU temps now, but I am more used to my 1700x that I previously had that almost always stayed in the 60s. The new Ryzen chips will appear to run warmer.

As for a case, here's what I have.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ne...sterbox-mb511-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811119346

Personally I put LEDs in it, but you obviously don't need to do that. You could go for a hyper 212 black edition cooler, and run all...

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
RTX 2070 Super is whopping overkill (as in, wasteful, not 'futureproof') for 1080p gaming.

If you buy one, you should plan on getting a new monitor in the immediate future, 1440p 144hz being the most appropriate fit for an RTX 2070 Super.

You could happily drop the GPU to an RX 5700 (XT) or RTX 2060 Super and still have a very capable PC for 1440p high refresh gaming, economising money towards a monitor appropriate for the GPU.

A case with a more modern design - mesh / ventilated front, more front fan mounts, etc would improve airflow for cooling the GPU and CPU, both of which maintain higher frequencies and give more performance the cooler they are.

What are you doing with your existing Windows licence? If it's Win 7 (or 8) you can still update to 10 for free, and tie that licence to a Microsoft account, allowing you to transfer it from your old system to your new system, saving ~$100.

To be honest, if it's just for gaming, the priority would be a new GPU and a new monitor - your CPU is not going to be an issue most of the time in most modern titles at 1440p.

Reactions: ochoco
Feb 25, 2020
RTX 2070 Super is whopping overkill (as in, wasteful, not 'futureproof') for 1080p gaming.

If you buy one, you should plan on getting a new monitor in the immediate future, 1440p 144hz being the most appropriate fit for an RTX 2070 Super.

I would love to upgrade a monitor for gaming in the higher freq/res but figured I could do that down the road after I earn some wife points back.

You could happily drop the GPU to an RX 5700 (XT) or RTX 2060 Super and still have a very capable PC for 1440p high refresh gaming, economising money towards a monitor appropriate for the GPU.

I picked the 2070 Super thinking it may allow me to go a little longer before upgrading again and allow me to take advantage of the ray tracing technology if applicable in the future. Currently I mainly just play WoW which I believe is more cpu intensive but will move on at some point.

A case with a more modern design - mesh / ventilated front, more front fan mounts, etc would improve airflow for cooling the GPU and CPU, both of which maintain higher frequencies and give more performance the cooler they are.

My case is older but I still really like it even though it's giant. I do not plan on overclocking anything so I figured I could get away with using it.

What are you doing with your existing Windows licence? If it's Win 7 (or 8) you can still update to 10 for free, and tie that licence to a Microsoft account, allowing you to transfer it from your old system to your new system, saving ~$100.

My existing windows license is a windows 10 license that I previously updated from windows 8 when they were offering it. I plan on keeping it on my old system and putting it in another case for my son.

To be honest, if it's just for gaming, the priority would be a new GPU and a new monitor - your CPU is not going to be an issue most of the time in most modern titles at 1440p.

I forgot to list my hard drives but that is where I will probably notice the biggest advantage with the SSD because I am still using SATA drives. 4 Western Digitals.

Thank you for your reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oussebon
I concur on the case. That case doesn't look well ventilated. With my Ryzen 3600, I see load temps of 72-73. Keep in mind I'm using an AMD wraith prism cooler which is probably not much worse than a hyper 212. I also have 6 fans running in my case.

To be honest, I think I'm ok with my CPU temps now, but I am more used to my 1700x that I previously had that almost always stayed in the 60s. The new Ryzen chips will appear to run warmer.

As for a case, here's what I have.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ne...sterbox-mb511-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811119346

Personally I put LEDs in it, but you obviously don't need to do that. You could go for a hyper 212 black edition cooler, and run all black fans for example to have a more stealth look. But if you wanted more traditional, maybe something like this would be agreeable.

https://www.newegg.com/midnight-black-cooler-master-n-series-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811119277

Your just going to have some high end components in there capable of generating heat, you will need to be able to move air out. On that case, you could utilize front fans, as well as it looks like have fans on top to pull air out right from your hyper 212. And if you wanted, add a side fan for your graphics card.

Solution

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
I picked the 2070 Super thinking it may allow me to go a little longer before upgrading again and allow me to take advantage of the ray tracing technology if applicable in the future. Currently I mainly just play WoW which I believe is more cpu intensive but will move on at some point.
As I say, though, that's a bad use of cash. For 1080p gaming, a GTX 1660 Super would be great, even for AAA titles, and a colossal upgrade on your aged 670. By the time you really benefit from the extra horsepower of the RTX 2070 Super for an entry level monitor - years down the line - you'd have been able to buy a GPU upgrade that's even more powerful, with more advanced hardware features (e.g. even better raytracing support), for less than the

And as for RTX - let's think about what this is for. The whole reason of raytracing is to give a better quality image, agreed? In which case, why on earth stick to 1080p 60hz which is entry-level as image quality goes. Surely all the more reason to go with a 1440p )higher res, more pixels, sharper and far more detailed image) high refresh (smoother, more responsive) monitor with adaptive sync (eliminates tearing and helps reduce stutter)

Honestly, it's money right up the wall for a 1080p monitor. You're just bottlenecking the PC with a low level monitor.

I will say I have to agree on this as well. Here's my setup.

Ryzen 5 3600

Wraith Prism cooler

16gb crucial ballistix ddr4 3000 ram

ASRock AB350 Pro 4 board(did bios update for 3600 support)

EVGA Super Ultra SC GTX 1660 Super( which can apparently is a bargain now at 224.99--I got mine for 230 at Newegg, but I run Battlefield 5 on it etc with high/ultra settings at 1080p on a 144hz monitor). https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-1068-KR

PowerSpec 750 Watt Bronze PSU

Cooler Master MB511 case

I play on a 27 inch 1080p 144hz screen. Really this handles most everything. I might be pushing the limit a little on that front. But it handles ok especially if I turn it down to high settings. No major complaints. From your 670, that kind of system would be a huge upgrade. I previously had an RX 580 8gb with a 1700x that I upgraded from and this setup is a nice improvement over that.

As for Ray Tracing, you have to figure Ray tracing is brand new. New consoles come out this that support it, but could take a while before they utilize it. Grab the 1660 super, keep it a year or so, then sell it and upgrade.

It looks like the 1080ti and the RTX 2070 are on par with each other. So that 2070 is lets say a 400 dollar card. You figure that in a year when they release new cards, that 2070 might be equivalent to a 200-250 dollar card. You can see that too when you realize the 1660 super is about equal to a gtx 1070. Google says the 1070 was 379 when it launched. So that shows you how quickly hardware will depreciate. If you want the 2070, by all means. But the 1660 super will hold for a little while, especially at 1080p 60hz. So you might consider getting that and get a better cpu etc if you want, and then you are set to update when new cards release to the newer cards. As I said, ray tracing will probably be on consoles, but give them a year or 2 before they start programming more for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oussebon