Build Upgrade Consultation / Discussion

Khalietal

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
I want to start with listing the components of my lovely build I made myself back in the Holidays 2014:

Mobo: ASUS Maximus VII Hero LGA1150 Z97
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Unlocked Quad Core 3.5GHZ/3.9GHZ
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 G1 4GB 7.0GHZ GDDR5
Memory kit: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-2400 CL11
PSU: Corsair RM650 Silence ATX 12V V2.31 80 Plus Gold Modular

For the rest, I have:
Tower: Cooler Master CM Storm Stryker Full Tower (white)
CPU Cooler: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H60 (I have a H110 on a shelf but I don't overclock my CPU so I won't install it until then)
Storage:SSD Samsung 840 Evo 250GB (Primary)
HHD 3TB from Toshiba (7200rpm)
Monitor: 24" 1080p ASUS monitor.

I run Windows 10 Pro, System Mechanic for my PC continuous maintenance.
I'm mostly a gamer. I don't do any video editing/compiling. I use internet a lot for my personal Minecraft Server. Other than that, I do nothing that put a strain on this tower.

So here is the main question/open discussion. I am a full blown enthusiast about Virtual Reality, Augmented, Mixed, Crossed, everything in between. Ever since I played Doom 1 on a very old Head Mounted Display with Cyberman power gloves in my hands, I have dreamed of the coming era. I realized that I bought my rig too early for VR. But I just can't buy a new one yet either. I'm looking into maximizing this rig for as long as possible or as long as it takes before a proper, better quality and cheaper to buy Virtual Reality system exists. For the time being, my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge with the Gear VR do just fine. :p

What would you do with this rig to make it last longer? What would you upgrade and in what order? How far would you go before considering a new system altogether?

I looked into buying a NVMe SSD maybe 500GB, I looked into the GTX1080 (drooling while thinking about it) and also looked into maxing my CPU for this Mobo or changing the Mobo, CPU and memory for newer chipset (quite pricey. would it make that much of a difference?)

Sorry for my long and first post. Cheers!

Solution
Your system is more than capable for VR as is. Overclocking would pick the performance up a bit and extend the useful life of the system. I say just use it until it can longer do the things you want. That may be quite awhile longer than you think.
Your system is more than capable for VR as is. Overclocking would pick the performance up a bit and extend the useful life of the system. I say just use it until it can longer do the things you want. That may be quite awhile longer than you think.

Solution

I agree with badactor

also a gtx 1080 would be overkill for a 1080p monitor. if you are itching to do something

maybe jump up to a 1400p gtx 1080 or 4K titan X pascal

your core PC can last a few more years ( NVMe SSD ) < not worth it for gaming or VR ) the SSD is fine