Build with a $1500 Budget

Jwl3039

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2014
What do you guys think of this build? I went through many different build sets on this forum, and I ultimately came up with this one. I want this to be created as a Gaming PC, and I will eventually SLI two 970`s together. I know there are some flaws with this build especially when it comes to memory. I opt`d out of getting a 120/250GB SSD. I needed the wiggle room in my budget to get a new keyboard, but what do you guys think? Also I really wanted to get the H100i for water-cooling BUT everyone has been pushing me to get the Noctua. Any opinions on that matter? I have never messed around with Water-Cooling, and I have always wanted to try it. It just seems like everyone is against it xD Also I was planning to put a 980 in this build instead of a 970, but the cost is way up there. Do you think I should get that instead ? Does the 980 out way the new keyboard? This build I made may get a lot of crap, but I am fairly new to building computers. Thank you for all your input and advice ahead of time.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/JWL9834/saved/3RcmP6

ludus

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

Where is the build?

ludus

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

That build looks good, except for the budget you have, you should definitely include at least a 120gb ssd to boot your OS from. And if you would rather have that cpu cooler than the cheaper popular hyper 212 evo that's fine. The build looks solid overall. The GTX 980 isn't worth it if you aren't going to be doing ridiculous really gpu heavy games; the GTX 970 will do great.

Jwl3039

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2014
Thank you for that input, I do have some room in my budget to put in a SSD so I might as well. I chose the Noctua U14 because of how well it stacks compared to many other cpu coolers. I originally had the Evo 212 then I switched to the H100i, and finally landed up on the Noctua. I still am debating whether or not to go with liquid cooling or not.

ludus

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

Are you planning on overclocking your CPU at all?

adamjosiah

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
I've noticed this trend too with people nay-saying watercooling, and there is no reason for it. Honestly it depends on your particular build. Yes, a good air cooler can cool just as good as a liquid cooler in some situations, but it depends completely on your particular set up. Full ATX motherboards and mid to large cases are usually better for massive cpu heatsinks because you won't run into as many spacing issues if you're installing high profile RAM. Using large heatsinks also requires good, balanced case airflow - so you're not just blowing hot air around. The same is true with non-blower style graphics card coolers. Quiet and small cases better utilize components which cool directly against ventilation - like the radiator on a liquid cooler.

As for how complicated it is, it's not. These are not custom water loops where you have to install your own fitting, etc. They are self contained and usually maintenace free. If you can build a computer, you can install them.

Jwl3039

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2014
I am planning to overclock my CPU once i learn how to do it xD
Which is why I was leaning more towards the H100i due to the overclocking.

Jwl3039

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2014
The H100i definitely looked easy to install which is why I chose this particular model. Also from the specs I saw it stacked up very well .

ludus

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

In the end it really is just your preference. If you would like to get the best perfomance for your dollar, then buy the hyper 212 evo. If you want silence, then go with a Noctua fan. And if you want space around your cpu, want to try it out, and are willing to pay for the water cooler then go with that. At the end of the day, these coolers all get around the same temperatures anyway, so its all about what you want to go for.