Build Workstation for 3D max rendering...

cad_kiran

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Dear all,

I want a Urgent spec for 3d max work station CPU..My Budget is 2000$.

currently i am looking for a AMD Opterone base system....pls suggest Excellent specs within my budget.
Thanx alot, in advance...

Solution
Overall looks good, two points though. The motherboard uses a server form factor that doesn't appear to be supported by that case, so you'll have to choose another case that supports the SSI EEB form factor.

Second, I would recommend a different hard drive. The velociraptors have always been excessively priced give the performance and capacity they offer. If you want max performance consider a SSD, while if you want something with high reliability go with a enterprise class 7200RPM drive.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Opteron? Why Opteron? Opterons are workstation/server processors and you pay a lot more for CPUs and motherboards. I would consider looking at a AMD Phenom II x6 or an Intel Core i7-2600K based system unless you have a good reason for wanting the opteron platform.

cad_kiran

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009

Thax for the comment.....last week I searched a lot for the 3d Rendering workstations...my cunclusion that multi threaded application like 3d max rendering works need more cores and maximum speed. The system purely for 3d max rendering in our studio. So I thougt to build multi processors with a single board and use 16 gb or more Ram..
I got 2 options dual xeons or Dual Opterone.. in money matter and worthy performance .....I selcted Opterone6000 series...

I need Further comments and critiques in this forum...Plz any body have 3d max rendering farm,,,,,Plz make your Valuable comments...I am not Using this system for gaming or multi purposes...

@jprahman ....Thax a lot for the Reply....

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
3ds Max needs a lot to run optimally. It needs a combination of multi-CPU power and a workstation video card. You need to find a combo of those two that fits your budget. It wouldn't make sense to splurge on CPU power and neglect the GPU requirements.

Note, however that a 4-core i7 CPU beats AMD's 6-core CPUs. The i7-980X is that fastest of the desktop CPUs for 3ds Max. If you went with dual Xenons, you would have to pay a lot to get two of the faster ones available, or you could end up with a lot of cores that are actually slower than one i7-980X.

Also, 3ds Max benefits greatly from the workstation GPUs, whos drivers are optimized for it. You could easily spend that $2,000 on just the GPU.

What are your plans for the GPU?

cad_kiran

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Thanx for the reply...i7980 is a wonderful processor...very useful for 3d max renderings jobs..But...My budget did not compromise on that...becoz i have to take sufficient Main board, GPU ,abt 16 gb of ram..1000 rpm hard disk..cooling system...so i compramised for dual amd processors..

Below is the spec...

AMD Opteron 6128 8-core Magny-Cours 2.0GHz Processor OS6128WKT8EGOWOF x2

ASUS KGPE-D16 Dual Socket G34 AMD SR5690 SSI EEB 3.61 Dual 8/12 Core AMD Opteron 6000 series Server Motherboard OR dual socket mother board of Gigabyte of same price series and for dual opterone.

Gskill 4x4 1333 RAM toatl 16 gb

Antec Twelve Hundred ATX 12 Drive Bays 2xUSB 3.0 eSATA Audio Full Tower Case

Nvdia Quadro fx 1800 video card

Cooler Master Silent Pro M1000 Series Modular

ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

Western Digital 300 GB VelociRaptor SATA 10,000 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Enterprise Hard Drive WD3000HLFS

Its hardly abt.. 2000$

pls comment on each part...

Thanx for the replays in advance...

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Overall looks good, two points though. The motherboard uses a server form factor that doesn't appear to be supported by that case, so you'll have to choose another case that supports the SSI EEB form factor.

Second, I would recommend a different hard drive. The velociraptors have always been excessively priced give the performance and capacity they offer. If you want max performance consider a SSD, while if you want something with high reliability go with a enterprise class 7200RPM drive.

Solution

cad_kiran

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009

Thanx for the reply...

can pls suggest a specific case for my Main Board? becoz I am not so aware of that...within the price series(178$)

and also good.....enterprise class 7200RPM drive.

Thanks for the reply....

jjlrarch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
I have the same original question but change the budget to around $5000
I have been currently looking at this workstation from dell for my 3d max application.

Any thoughts or changes.

My System Details
Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, No Media, 64-bit, English
Dell Precision T5500 Workstation
Dual Quad Core Intel® Xeon® Processor X5647, 2.93GHz,12M L3, 5.86GT/s
No Productivity Software
3 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 3 Year NBD On-Site Service
Precision T5500 Power Supply, C2 Motherboard
12GB, DDR3 RDIMM Memory, 1333MHz, ECC (6 DIMMS)
Desktop Chassis Configuration
1.0GB NVIDIA® Quadro® 2000, Dual MON, 2 DP & 1 DVI

C33 All SSD drives, Raid 0, 2 drive configuration
Integrated Intel chipset SATA 3.0Gb/s controller
256GB Solid State Drive,2.5

16X DVD-ROM with Cyberlink Power DVD™ No Media
No Monitor
No Floppy Drive and No Media Card Reader

cad_kiran

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009

Yes Dear! its working Fantastic!!!!..at first i only made one mistake with power supply...the server board need 4x2 power connectors and capacity above 750 watt ..but its rare type...For this I used adapters...but that was a big failure...so i changed that PSu ...and am now using cooler master silent pro. 850watt..now it is smooth going....compered i7 its only take half or less rendering time. 1.25 lakh only for cpu.