Build Your Own: Single-Slot GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bradwfresno

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
I'm not sure if the charts are wrong or if I'm just reading them incorrectly but it appears the passive cooling has better performance than the low profile. Am I wrong?

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Seriously where is low-profile GPU wars? We all know AMD and Nvidia could release sub-75w cards that are nearly strong as a 670. Just majorly undervolt some binned 7950's and clock them at 800MHz, and then give the VRAM a major boost to compensate. Even if it cost 30% more for an equivalent brick-sized card, people would eat it up and micro-PC usage would explode! MAKE IT HAPPEN!

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Btw, which way were you spinning the fan? It seems in the picture that your adapter connector closest to the PCB swaps the polarity black/red. Perhaps it doesn't matter. Just curious.

It is the right direction, one of the adapters is bullshit. I've proofed it by myself (and with voltmeter). :)

I'm not sure if the charts are wrong or if I'm just reading them incorrectly but it appears the passive cooling has better performance than the low profile. Am I wrong?

No. But compare the coolers please. Sumo-style vs. anorexia :D

bucknutty

Distinguished
I would be ashamed of that fan wire job. You have an extra fan connector why not just splice it in with a bit of tape rather than having a molex plugged in all wonky like?There are tons of weird little universal GPU coolers on ebay anywhere from $5-15.00. I would like to see you try one of those?

Casecutter

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I wouldn't have tried the half-height, there have been other single slot that would be better, like perhaps those from a GT240 like EVGA's 512-P3-1242-LR Superclock with a 70W TDP. But what really is strange is the V3900 pushs it's max <75W through a 118 mm² die, while the GM107 is 148 mm², I would have thought it would work better, although without the baseline V3900 we can't see if it is or not. I suppose we can use your review of this V3900 two years ago where it was 37.4 on the Perlin noise loop, while there was no temps provided. It’s interesting that even with what can be determined as a faster fan speed, and what should be a similar actual power consumption figures, the GM107 rapidly jumped to 80°C and counteracts its’ clock speed to hold their. What this really says is the 750Ti will needing some exceptional engineered solutions to achieve both half-height and low-profile and make it HTPC palatable.

Speed Shop

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2014
Personally this card isn't worth the money spent. I bought one and returned it after two days. I was seeing 10-15 fps on games like Ghost Recon, AION, F1, etc... It seemed nice the first hour until it was warm, obviously why u would want to buy a bigger cooler but then why not just buy a 660ti which will run circles around this. If u have a factory PS then maybe this is for you although for me it was quite disappointing.

Maybe yours was bad. The 660ti is quite a bit faster, but also proportionally more expensive too
The 750ti should be able to run almost any game faster than 15fps

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Just thinking about what Nvidia can do with the Maxwell design makes me worry about AMD's survival.@Silverblue: Board partners just need to make their own versions of the Accelero Xtreme III, the cooler works like a charm on my 290X. It never exceeded 78 C after an hour of Furmark. And the distributor will even honor my warranty because I had them replace the cooler and didn't do it myself

howard69

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
is it any less elegant to consider that a small actively cooled PC casemight also achieve the same success/ at least the ambient temp wouldbe lower...29 °C ambient 80 °C under load per article say inside the fridge - the ambient was more like 3.3 Cabout a 20-30 degree drop ...i guess you'd have condensation to factor in with some formof air drier needed.but ALL the components would be cooler ; not just the GPU.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
The stock cooler on the EVGA GT640 just might work and would be a much better alternative than the AMD fan used in this article. There would also be no need to use a converter power cable. Most importantly, make note that this heatsink will not interfere with the tall capacitors on the GTX 750 or GTX 750 Ti. The spacing between the cooler and where the capacitors are located on both PCBs look exactly identical:http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-2048MB-Graphics-02G-P4-2645-KR/dp/B0086UXQIE/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1395173260&sr=1-3&keywords=gt+640

Red_Frog

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
This would be fantastic if 750s could SLI. Still waiting for Nvidia to give me a worthwhile upgrade path from my GTS450s for less than 200 beans. I'd love to get a pair of 650 Boosts and add them to a loop but I'm afraid that supply will probably dry up long before they break $100.

Why not buy one fast card?
A $250 GTX760 will probably be twice as fast as two GTS450

Red_Frog

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
Why not buy one fast card?A $250 GTX760 will probably be twice as fast as two GTS450
Because I like SLI, no other reason really. I enjoy the flexibility it offers between raw performance and more esoteric benefits like PhysX or SLI AA. It might be an addiction, I was hooked after my 9800s just like I was with my Voodoos and I'll never be able to go back to a single card. It's just not as fun to me.

Red_Frog

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
Yes, generally. As I said, I enjoy it, I never claimed it was for everyone and I certainly don't recommend it for the average user.

The wacky tech

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
The 290X really does draw to much power I didt see the pipes not touching the chip I guess I need to have another look into this I hope that it can be settle or if already is would be great ps please keep me posted on this I am just now finishing my A+ training for computer tech

Pedasc

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
The goal was only to show, that a low-profile and single-slot card might work. It's clear that nobody can take a saw and modify the reference board... :D
OK, I understand but the following statement at the start of the article is misleading:
Can you build your own low-profile board based on GM107? Sure, if you have the right AMD donor.
Not a big deal though, it becomes pretty obvious pretty quickly what you were trying to do.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Read it again :D

Ok, the translation from my German into English doesn't reflect my lyrics and lost a lot of style - but it's understandable. The idea behind was only to show that's may be possible. To be honest: after 35 years IT I really know the form factors ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.