Build Your Own: Wall-Sized 3D Gaming, Just Like Theaters Do It

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Don't gives too big an image to try and see it 3d. A monitor can't handle: 800px × 248px!!!! That's just crazy big!!!

Icehearted

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
As for poor folk like me, we'll just settle for those still images where we cross our eyes, and cry because $2,565 is far away from "comfortable".

tigerwraith

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
2.6k now but you know things like this keep getting cheaper and cheaper. Maybe by this time next year, the 1080p 2600 lumens will drop to 500, and the drivers will better support dual projector setups.

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Great article! Thanx a lot.
But as I can see, 3D stereo is not there yet.
Almost no movies are available at 3DS, and game developers don't focus on stereo optimisation. Thus, we have some glitches and inconveniences.

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
ahh, something else to cost an arm and a leg...

not saying that many people here don't want the fastest and most expensive....

but it was clearly shown that many people looking at this site want something that performs for what it costs, as seen by the fermi release and the comments .....

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Whats the next price bracket up for a projector with higher res?

I like the idea of dual projectors better than the alt-image standard, but they didn't ask me.

Here's a wild thought, soon, everyone will have their own glasses that not only do the shutter for 3D, but will also be able to be personal monitors. Connect to any computer/phone/TV with your glasses. Displays might even become unnecessary. That will be the next wireless mainstream device. The iShades. Phone, mobile pc and display, earbud is right there. Have pants that have built in keyboard. We'll all just be sitting there with our shades on and never see the person next to us as we get lost in the cloud. And it all starts with 3D glasses. :p

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Icehearted[/nom]As for poor folk like me, we'll just settle for those still images where we cross our eyes, and cry because $2,565 is far away from "comfortable".[/citation]

No, you can at least use red/cyan paper glasses with iz3d drivers and a normal display.
That is not that bad!

manitoublack

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Great article, and no doubt people ask you: "why have you got 2 projectors?" The only trouble with polarized setups is that you cant view 3D laying down, eg: Lounge Lizard style, which you can do with shutter glasses (however uncomfortable that may be.)

Still though, for $2,500USD you've built a pretty mad setup. To those winging about price, deal with it, if you want the best you've got to be prepared to buy the best. I'd suspect that a WUXGA setup would be in the $5-6,000 range using the projectors you'd want. Well worth the buy-in price. I hope for your sake (if you payed for it, not Tomshardware) that it is compatible with yet-to-be-released BR3D.

mjello

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
[citation][nom]manitoublack[/nom]Great article, and no doubt people ask you: "why have you got 2 projectors?" The only trouble with polarized setups is that you cant view 3D laying down, eg: Lounge Lizard style, which you can do with shutter glasses (however uncomfortable that may be.)Still though, for $2,500USD you've built a pretty mad setup. To those winging about price, deal with it, if you want the best you've got to be prepared to buy the best. I'd suspect that a WUXGA setup would be in the $5-6,000 range using the projectors you'd want. Well worth the buy-in price. I hope for your sake (if you payed for it, not Tomshardware) that it is compatible with yet-to-be-released BR3D.[/citation]

Samsung display dont work lying down

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
What's wrong with the old school red-green glasses? It seems like a much cheaper and convenient solution. I would hate having to recharge glasses, let alone wear them if they're going to be heavier than normal.

d70guy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
There are a lot of issues with this. The lack of resolution, difference in brightness of the images over time (no two bulbs are identical), the less than ideal projection surface, the fact that all bluray titles will be 1080p for each eye, etc.. I mean, this *is* a fun toy, but not for a serious gamer, and not for an even semi-serious home theater person. It is strictly for someone with the money to blow on a toy.

d70guy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
[citation][nom]idisarmu[/nom]What's wrong with the old school red-green glasses? It seems like a much cheaper and convenient solution. I would hate having to recharge glasses, let alone wear them if they're going to be heavier than normal.[/citation]

Red blue glasses are the worst case 3D experience. Both polarized and shutter glasses are 10 times better at delivering a realistic 3D experience. The anaglyph (red/blue separation of the image distorts the color of the image, and even with high quality (eyeglass quality) red/blue glass lenses the overall effect is that of a poor quality experience. Shutter glasses these days are not that heavy, and its not like you are going to be wearing them for the length of the movie. It really doesn't factor in. Personally, I will take the shutter glasses. They block light much better thereby eliminating the ghosting issues associated with the polarized lenses. I say this as someone who has worked with linear, circular, and shutter technology since the late 1980s.

Artman256

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
From the dual projector page - "the filters polarize the light across a plane". This is not entirely true, old systems did that, but modern systems use circular polarization, which avoids the problems caused by tilting your head.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I don't know if it would be possible, but it would sure be AWESOME to see some of those games on a short gif animation in "fake" 3D! Please! (a video review would be great too!) :D

PLEASE people, vote me up! If you do they'll try it!

mx500torid

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
I went to the DDD site and see no starter packs for sale. i have a Samsung DLP TV that is on their list of compatible televisions. Any way to get a starter pack?

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I've had this kind of thing in mind for a few years now but a pair of new (so that the brightness etc match exactly) are still too expensive for me. It's now possible to do this with under a £1000 budget by using two £350 (I've seen some) 720p projectors. Personally I wouldn't want to do it with anything under 1080p since I'm now used to 2560p gaming and 1080p large screen blurays so I'd need much deeper pockets to get the kind of setup I'd like. In a few years maybe.

G

I don't see how this is true 3D. You can just shift the images left and right. Objects in the foreground should be shifted MORE to the left and right than objects in the background. In your car picture, the building in the background looks as shifted as the car in the foreground. It shouldn't be like this. The foreground image should be more shifted to make it pop out more. It's simple geometry.

Status
Not open for further replies.