[SOLVED] build

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
ok so i have started my major overhaul on my pc.
it originally was a gateway pc tower which i had installed a i5 6500 and a gtx 680
original hdd was 500gb i was using a old 32 inch samsung lcd tv
2x 8gb 2133 ram

now it sits in a cooler master haf xb evo with a i5 6500 and a rtx2060, i have a 32 inch samsung curved 1080p monitor,
ive installed 2 80 mm noctua fans and kept the 2x120mm fans that came with the case.

i plan on installing 2 x140mm noctua fans, a 120mm noctua fan so they all match color wise, i will be installing a 9700k and a asus tuf z390 board with a noctua d15 with 2 x140 fans. i will overclock card and cpu abit (not alot)
i plan on going to 2x16 gb ram im just thinking of sticking with 2133 mhz so i dont have to change the bios things which i have no clue how to do. and dont wanna screw it up. i will be installing a new psu.

which should be done first i was thinking about this order
psu, fans, d15 cooler, ram, mobo and cpu.
it will be changed over time.

Solution
i was thinking about going to a 8700k which i can get for about 500 canadian dollars. that way i dont have to switch my asrock h170a board and wait for the release of a new set of intel cpu's doesnt seem to be a major jump to the 9700k. and hopefully they keep with the same socket so i can still use the d15s cooler
Not sure I understand correctly or not, but do you think the 8700K will work on an H170 board? Firstly, there's nothing like H170 - it's either Z170 or it's H110, and secondly, neither of those motherboard will run the 8700K - you'll need a Z370 board for overclocking support, otherwise a B360 board. You are indeed correct about there not being much difference between 8700K and 9700K, except that the 8700K has 12...
uh...………...
first of all, watch more build guides, so you know exactly how to install everything
(I can recommend watching old linustechtips build guides.)

2ndly, default ram isn't 2133, its 2666/2400 on intel and now 3200 (I think) on amd.
as for the order..
I would buy ram after the mobo and cpu I guess
and fans are also not really that important

airflow matters, a lot, but like, 3-4C higher wont kill your new mobo and cpu
and if it means you get a new pc faster I think its worth it.
also, what cooler do you have now? do you think you can use it can handle a 9700K?
if not, then this is my suggestion:
psu, d15, mobo+cpu, ram, fans.

(also, not an amd fanboy or anything but... might wanna go with the 3700X.)

There are better options than the 9700K at the same price point... Consider watching some benchmarks on the Ryzen 7 3700X vs the 9700K, if you don't have a 144 Hz or higher monitor, I think getting the 3700X with a good B450 board will be a better value than 9700K.

Agree with the above reply on order of purchase - definitely get the PSU first, and get the CPU, motherboard and cooler together if possible. You can use your older RAM while you wait for your upgrade, it's still compatible(and it's also good enough to run games right now - no game uses more than 16 GB, don't really need 32 GB). Fans can wait for now, first see if you really need them.

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
There are better options than the 9700K at the same price point... Consider watching some benchmarks on the Ryzen 7 3700X vs the 9700K, if you don't have a 144 Hz or higher monitor, I think getting the 3700X with a good B450 board will be a better value than 9700K.

Agree with the above reply on order of purchase - definitely get the PSU first, and get the CPU, motherboard and cooler together if possible. You can use your older RAM while you wait for your upgrade, it's still compatible(and it's also good enough to run games right now - no game uses more than 16 GB, don't really need 32 GB). Fans can wait for now, first see if you really need them.
im not at all interested in amd due to past issues with them.
i ordered a new psu a much better one actually. and i order a d15s to replace the stock cooler. i ordered fans as well just for looks and a fan controller lol as i didnt have enough for a mobo and cpu quite yet. so the 2x8gb 2133 ram will work with a new 9700k and a new z390 board because they say they only support 2666 mhz ram...?

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
uh...………...
first of all, watch more build guides, so you know exactly how to install everything
(I can recommend watching old linustechtips build guides.)

2ndly, default ram isn't 2133, its 2666/2400 on intel and now 3200 (I think) on amd.
as for the order..
I would buy ram after the mobo and cpu I guess
and fans are also not really that important

airflow matters, a lot, but like, 3-4C higher wont kill your new mobo and cpu
and if it means you get a new pc faster I think its worth it.
also, what cooler do you have now? do you think you can use it can handle a 9700K?
if not, then this is my suggestion:
psu, d15, mobo+cpu, ram, fans.

(also, not an amd fanboy or anything but... might wanna go with the 3700X.)
no issues with building just its been a few years since and havnt looked at much for parts wise. and not sure about what to get first. i did order a new psu, cpu cooler D15s, fan controller and fans (never had enough for mobo and cpu) i also picked up some new thermal paste so when i get a new cpu i would have some already. im not interested with amd at all because of past issues with them.

im not at all interested in amd due to past issues with them.
i ordered a new psu a much better one actually. and i order a d15s to replace the stock cooler. i ordered fans as well just for looks and a fan controller lol as i didnt have enough for a mobo and cpu quite yet. so the 2x8gb 2133 ram will work with a new 9700k and a new z390 board because they say they only support 2666 mhz ram...?
There might be a small performance impact of the slower RAM, but nothing major, and not in every game. If that's fine by you, then using the older RAM is just fine. You just need CPU and motherboard now, and if you feel the 2133 RAM is holding back your performance, you can always buy faster RAM or maybe even try overclocking your older RAM to slightly higher speeds(they can go a bit higher than advertised speeds in most cases).

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
There might be a small performance impact of the slower RAM, but nothing major, and not in every game. If that's fine by you, then using the older RAM is just fine. You just need CPU and motherboard now, and if you feel the 2133 RAM is holding back your performance, you can always buy faster RAM or maybe even try overclocking your older RAM to slightly higher speeds(they can go a bit higher than advertised speeds in most cases).
i was thinking about going to a 8700k which i can get for about 500 canadian dollars. that way i dont have to switch my asrock h170a board and wait for the release of a new set of intel cpu's doesnt seem to be a major jump to the 9700k. and hopefully they keep with the same socket so i can still use the d15s cooler

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
You may have Windows licensing issues. As this was a Gateway pc I would expect the Windows licence to be tied to the original motherboard.
sorry original mobo was for a 2320 cpu many years ago. i swapped that out and installed a asrock h170a with a i5 6500 and did a gtx680 install as well at the time. its correct i did have licencing issues at the time but oh well.

Not sure I understand correctly or not, but do you think the 8700K will work on an H170 board? Firstly, there's nothing like H170 - it's either Z170 or it's H110, and secondly, neither of those motherboard will run the 8700K - you'll need a Z370 board for overclocking support, otherwise a B360 board. You are indeed correct about there not being much difference between 8700K and 9700K, except that the 8700K has 12 threads which is actually better than having 8 cores 8 threads in any future games that may need more than 8 threads. While the overall performance of the two chips would be pretty much the same, the 8700K is actually a bit more 'future-proof', thanks to its hyperthreading.

Right now, in my personal opinion, the 8700K is actually a more sensible option than the 9700K - those 4 extra threads will be more handy than the two extra cores of the 9700K.

Solution
this is my current board. https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H170A-X13.1/index.asp
model is h170a i didnt realize that it didnt support 8th gen cpu.
after careful thought i decided to go with a asus tuf z390 gaming board and a 9700k with a rtx 2060 overclocked
Sorry, looks like my 6th and 7th gen chipset knowledge is getting rusty, I completely forgot an H170 chipset existed :/. My bad.

The parts you have chosen are compatible, but like I said the 8700K might make more sense, but anyway the final decision is up to you.

Truckerlenny

Great
May 20, 2019
Sorry, looks like my 6th and 7th gen chipset knowledge is getting rusty, I completely forgot an H170 chipset existed :/. My bad.

The parts you have chosen are compatible, but like I said the 8700K might make more sense, but anyway the final decision is up to you.
thank you i have purchased a 9700k looked into when the estimated 10th gen for desktop is coming and dont wanna wait so i went with a 9700k wasnt too much different in pricing from a 8700k to a 9700k now if i can only figure out how to over clock this sucker

TRENDING THREADS