[SOLVED] Builder Sites (Cyberpower/Ibuypower/Origin)

JetFury

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
Do you guys recommend doing business with these type of sites? Im looking at their yelp reviews and there is nothing but horror stories for all 3 of them. Does anyone have any experience with them or are there any other reputable outfits that provide the same service?

Solution
Do you have any suggestions for an SSD and case?
I will keep my eye on newegg as well
You need to sign up for the Newegg Shuffle and check it every day you can get a card if your lucky for a decent price.

Their several good cases just look for the front mesh with filters not glass.

SSD Samsung, Crucial, WD black.

EDIT only a few weeks till the 1200 processors will be out for mainly gaming the 12600K looks really good for about 300 bucks.

JetFury

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
Damn, This original build you posted - I would have gone for that one personally too and just worry about the case later to have it replaced if you didn't like the case.

Indeed, there's a risk it can sell out fast. GPUs are still currently high in demand. There's also rumors that Nvida is intentionally stopping production of GPUs in an attempt to spike prices up.

If you like a custom prebuilt build but don't like the case and you find the PSU inadequate but it has a decent GPU, you can still go for it and swap out to a new case and get a better PSU down the road later, which is what I've meant.
Origin, yes.
IBuyPower/CtberPower, no.
Thats such a shame. I doubt ill be able to find this spec build for this price (plus 5% off) anywhere else
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1PU41R

Origin is the most expensive that ive found out of these custom prebuilt sites, but the fact that you're a mod and your forum score makes me take your response to avoid the power sites completely seriously.... Maybe I'll have better luck just buying a prebuilt from amazon.

Reactions: avg9956
Amazon is reliable and if the supplier cannot fulfill an order after you have paid, you can hold the supplier accountable within their platform.
Cost may be expensive, but you're guaranteed support anyhow, at least in my experience.
There are also times where prebuilts can go on sale in Amazon

I use camel x3 price tracker or ali price browser extension on google chrome to track the price

Reactions: JetFury

DSzymborski

Titan
I wouldn't advice Cyberpower or Ibuypower in normal times, but with parts availability what it is, it can be justified if you go in it thinking like a builder, not as someone buying a finished product. So make sure you know exactly what parts you're putting in; no taking the "standard" PSU or RAM or just going with the liquid cooling "upgrade" which is frequently just a cheap 120mm AIO to save themselves money on big air coolers that might cause RMAs. And assume that it's assembled incompetently and when you get it, basically rebuild it on your own.

Places like Maingear and going up from there, places like Falcon Northwest or Puget Systems, are more proper boutique builders, where you pay for the quality and you have a reasonable expectation that things are put together correctly.

JetFury

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
Amazon is reliable and if the supplier cannot fulfill an order after you have paid, you can hold the supplier accountable within their platform.
Cost may be expensive, but you're guaranteed support anyhow, at least in my experience.
There are also times where prebuilts can go on sale in Amazon

I use camel x3 price tracker or ali price browser extension on google chrome to track the price
Ohhhh camelcamelcamel is an excellent extension. I will be using this extensively after thanksgiving sales arrive

JetFury

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
I wouldn't advice Cyberpower or Ibuypower in normal times, but with parts availability what it is, it can be justified if you go in it thinking like a builder, not as someone buying a finished product. So make sure you know exactly what parts you're putting in; no taking the "standard" PSU or RAM or just going with the liquid cooling "upgrade" which is frequently just a cheap 120mm AIO to save themselves money on big air coolers that might cause RMAs. And assume that it's assembled incompetently and when you get it, basically rebuild it on your own.

Places like Maingear and going up from there, places like Falcon Northwest or Puget Systems, are more proper boutique builders, where you pay for the quality and you have a reasonable expectation that things are put together correctly.
Excellent. If I can't find a decent prebuild on amazon I will look into those places you suggested. Worst come to worst I can just order the parts individually and go to a local shop to have them build it. Shouldnt be much more than $100 at most. At that point it'll cover the peace of mind if nothing else.

Diddlyjoebub

Prominent
Mar 19, 2020
I have purchased two computers from CyberpowerPC over the years and something is always wrong. The first computer arrived with black screen from dead GPU, I did RMA it and they payed for extra shipping and replaced GPU, but took around 3-4 weeks to get computer back. The second computer was running hot on arrival, opened case to find radiator had two 120mm fans on either side blowing in towards the radiator(After setting up fans properly CPU temps dropped 25-30C). If you do purchase from CyberpowerPC, do it like you are ordering a list of parts and reassemble it yourself (make sure you choose brand name on every part do not opt for standard or their brand). Also, I would test all components asap as I believe their RMA window is relatively short.

Edit: First pc was purchased 7 years ago, second was purchased this January.

Last edited:

JetFury

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
wow that sounds awful. Yeah this along with the multitude of bad experiences with these type of sites on the internet has convinced me to just buy the components individually and pay someone to put it together for me. Will be tough to find a gpu for non scalper prices outside of a prebuilt though...
Thank you all for your contributions to my decision

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
wow that sounds awful. Yeah this along with the multitude of bad experiences with these type of sites on the internet has convinced me to just buy the components individually and pay someone to put it together for me. Will be tough to find a gpu for non scalper prices outside of a prebuilt though...
Thank you all for your contributions to my decision
Don't buy a case with a glass front panel it kills the airflow. You also have a Kinston SSD listed I would pass on that brand.

For a video card check the Newegg Shuffle daily usually starts about 10 eastern time.

Last edited:

JetFury

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
Don't buy a case with a glass front panel it kills the airflow. You also have a Kinston SSD listed I would pass on that brand.

For a video card check the Newegg Shuffle daily usually starts about 10 eastern time.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
You need to sign up for the Newegg Shuffle and check it every day you can get a card if your lucky for a decent price.

Their several good cases just look for the front mesh with filters not glass.

SSD Samsung, Crucial, WD black.

EDIT only a few weeks till the 1200 processors will be out for mainly gaming the 12600K looks really good for about 300 bucks.

Last edited:
Solution

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Personally before I would buy from Origin, ibuypower or cyberpower, I would rather buy from Dell/Alienware or HP. You can find really good deals on Alienware desktops. I’m not saying they are a great gaming choice but the build tends to be consistent and it has a Dell warranty.

Because of the GPU shortages I had to go the prebuilt route. I purchased an Alienware R10 for $1250 and it was well specc’d with an RTX 2070 Super.

I purchased an HP Omen 30L directly from Amazon for $1999 and it included an RTX 3080 and the build quality, parts and specs are top notch. The one advice I can pass along is to stay away from the resellers on Amazon. They use bots and markup those same systems they buy directly from Amazon anywhere from 40-60%.

I’d rather buy directly from HP or Dell. You might want to take a look at the new Alienware R13 and R14. Would I buy an Alienware desktop if not for the GPU shortages, NO but these are not normal times. The Alienware R10 I purchased earlier this year has been pretty solid.

DSzymborski

Titan
I certainly wouldn't buy from Dell or HP. At least when the others screw up, they're not using proprietary parts. Steve Burke's teardowns of Dell/Alienware and hp builds lately have been horrifying. The cases are generally awful, the motherboards skimpy, the RAM anemic, and the OEM versions of the GPUs have been as cheaply made as possible.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I certainly wouldn't buy from Dell or HP. At least when the others screw up, they're not using proprietary parts. Steve Burke's teardowns of Dell/Alienware and hp builds lately have been horrifying. The cases are generally awful, the motherboards skimpy, the RAM anemic, and the OEM versions of the GPUs have been as cheaply made as possible.
Umm, that's incorrect. The HP Omen 30L is using a standard Mid Tower Coolermaster Case, It's using off the shelf parts including HyperX Fury RAM, Corsair 750W Platinum PSU, Western Digital Black NVME SSD, and a full length RTX 3080 card.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Partially incorrect.

There are certainly some HP/Dell/Alienware systems that DO use proprietary parts and configs.
That is correct but the Mod who responded to my comment missed the part that I purchased the HP Omen 30L. The Omen 30L uses standardized parts and HP even acknowledged that as other Tom's members have referenced that in some of their comments.

Regarding Dell, no they use proprietary parts in their Alienware desktops. However I still disagree with the Mod regarding whether not to buy from either Alienware or HP. They have channels for service that are a little more consistent than buying from places like the 3 companies the OP referenced. And someone even noted it's okay to buy from them just figure on approaching it like you know things are not going to be right when you get it.

At least with Alienware or HP there's a high chance that every system leaving their warehouses will have a consistent build and there's of course the warranty phase. Personally I prefer to build my own stuff but the build of the Omen 30L and cable mgmt gets high marks from me.

DSzymborski

Titan
That is correct but the Mod who responded to my comment missed the part that I purchased the HP Omen 30L. The Omen 30L uses standardized parts and HP even acknowledged that as other Tom's members have referenced that in some of their comments.

Regarding Dell, no they use proprietary parts in their Alienware desktops. However I still disagree with the Mod regarding whether not to buy from either Alienware or HP. They have channels for service that are a little more consistent than buying from places like the 3 companies the OP referenced. And someone even noted it's okay to buy from them just figure on approaching it like you know things are not going to be right when you get it.

At least with Alienware or HP there's a high chance that every system leaving their warehouses will have a consistent build and there's of course the warranty phase. Personally I prefer to build my own stuff but the build of the Omen 30L and cable mgmt gets high marks from me.

We get lots of people having problems with poorly assembled ones here (just as Burke did). HP's more boutique line is an exception in their line, not the rule, and you certainly pay for it in the price.

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
Partially incorrect.

There are certainly some HP/Dell/Alienware systems that DO use proprietary parts and configs.
Actually, cyberpower is not too bad (product-wise) as I had a bit more control of PC parts (unsure about the other companies), but their care when screwing in parts may sometimes be awful but I don't mind. but buy at your own risk.

ps: never choose the parts where they don't State the specific parts

for example: 600 Watt EVGA 80+ Gold power Supply
or the FREE UPGRADE :0 kinda things as this is a pretty noticeable business tactic to most pro pc builders

USAFRet

Titan
Actually, cyberpower is not too bad (product-wise) as I had a bit more control of PC parts (unsure about the other companies), but their care when screwing in parts may sometimes be awful but I don't mind. but buy at your own risk.
I certainly would not buy one.

We've seen far too many systems here with:
Fail to boot up, right out of the box
DVD not physically connected
Overheat after 5 minutes. Why? CPU fan not connected.

Add to that the overall parts selection. You have to be laser focused on what parts are included.

Add to that the less than useful 'warranty'.
You get 1 year from them, even though individual parts may have 2-3-5 year warranties if you had purchased them individually.
And often, you have to pay shipping both ways, for the whole system.
Oh yes....read that warranty in detail...;)

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
I certainly would not buy one.

We've seen far too many systems here with:
Fail to boot up, right out of the box
DVD not physically connected
Overheat after 5 minutes. Why? CPU fan not connected.

Add to that the overall parts selection. You have to be laser-focused on what parts are included.

Add to that the less than useful 'warranty'.
You get 1 year from them, even though individual parts may have 2-3-5 year warranties if you had purchased them individually.
And often, you have to pay shipping both ways, for the whole system.
Oh yes....read that warranty in detail...;)
oh, mine was probably just a lucky one, as it booted up after resetting cmos. I Will never ever send my pc back to the shipper at my conscience. Yes I have to agree you gotta be laser-focused on the parts you're choosing, as I actually learned my lesson when I got a 600GD evga on my cyberpowerpc with an rtx 3060 and had to replace it with a better one. Forgot to note that whenever you buy any sort of pc do your research.