Question Buildin a big rig next month. I need your help

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
Alright ladies, next month I'm droppin $3000+ on a gaming PC. I watched the Ryzen live stream yesterday. I am choosing between the Ryzen 3900X and the i9 9900KS. The main thing that I'm concerned about it Single-threaded performance. Now Passmark pegs the 9900K 30% better in single-threaded performance against the 2700X. Even with a 15% IPC increase, it still wouldn't catch up. I also been told that passmark is shit and not to go by that, and according to the keynote yesterday, Ryzen beats 9900K in terms of single-threaded performance. Can someone set the record straight for me? Im not interested in price for value performance. I'm interested in getting the top dog on the desktop level, which seems to be the 3900X.

So now I want to see you weigh in: Do I get the 3900X or the 9900K/KS ???

InvalidError

Titan
If you are obsessed about single-threaded performance, then the 9900KS should win by a slim margin due to its 400MHz clock advantage.

For most gaming though, I doubt the 3900X will have a meaningful advantage over the 3800X. The 3800X may even get the upper hand due to only having only one CPU chiplet which eliminates the possibility of chiplet-to-chiplet latency penalties.