Building 2 PC's. Got the parts. Now which parts for which PC?

mtesta1985

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Hey everyone. A couple of months ago I began picking up parts to build a new HTPC/Oculus VR machine. Then new shinier parts came out and I bought those too. So now I'm building a HTPC/VR PC and a new gaming desktop.

The HTPC needs to be able to stream 4K video, be a Plex media server, and run my Oculus Rift. Data storage for my movies isn't a big deal because I have a separate NAS on the network.

My Gaming PC needs to well, game. I have a 4K monitor, so It would be nice if I can play on high settings.

So I have all the parts already. I guess I can send something back if you guys really see a problem. My big question is what CPU/Mobo and video card should go into the gaming PC and what should go into the HTPC/VR.

Cases
Coolermaster EVO XB for the HTPC/VR
Corsair Carbide 740 for the Gaming PC

CPU/Mobo
EGVA Z270 FTW K paired with a I7 7700K with a Noctua NH-D15 fan
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E paired with a I7 8700K with a Noctua NH-D15 fan

Memory
Both PC's are using 16gb of Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x 8gb DDR4 3200

Power Supplies
Both PC's are using a EVGA SUPERNOVA 850W G3

Hard drives
Both PC's Samsung 500GB SSd
Both PC's WD Black 2TB for games and anything I don't want to stream over the network

Video Cards
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW

Any suggestions on what setup for the gaming PC and which for the HTPC/VR PC would be great.
Thanks!

Solution
The 1080 can handle VR pretty easily. Actually both of them can handle either. But the kind of high settings some games can demand, the 1080ti can give a more satiable framerate, specially on ultra.
You need to understand that the GPU operates inside the pc, and has to process the frames first before rendering any kind of throughput to other devices.
The 1080 can handle VR pretty easily. Actually both of them can handle either. But the kind of high settings some games can demand, the 1080ti can give a more satiable framerate, specially on ultra.
You need to understand that the GPU operates inside the pc, and has to process the frames first before rendering any kind of throughput to other devices.

Solution