Building a 2015 gaming pc

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manic orphans

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
Hi Guys.
I am looking at building a gaming rig has been 10years since my last build. I am wondering if you guys would have any suggestions on what a 2015 gaming pc should be. Budget is about $6000, but $2000 of that is headphone, monitor and mouse/keyboard.
I would like to get the best I can in that budget, preferably a water cooling system as Australia gets hot and something spacious like the corsair 900D as a case...
As an idea of costs here www.pccasegear.com.au is where I would most likely shop for most of it.

Cheers guys

Solution

I always put as many as the case offers for maximum cooling efficiency, afterall, the cooler the better, right? :) But I think putting 2 in front, 2 at side, 2 at top, and the rear is enough. But personally if it was me, I like to get everything over with in one shot so I don't ever have to touch them every again. So you can use all the fan slots if you want the best cooling and don't feel like switching them or moving for like the next 5-10 years maybe.

-Lone-

Admirable

It's pretty much the same for gaming. In real time you won't see a performance improvement between z97 and x99 build. In benchmarks or editing you will, but in gaming you won't need x99 because it is expensive and won't gain you any improvement in gaming, so forget about the first build since you do most gaming :)

-Lone-

Admirable

I always put as many as the case offers for maximum cooling efficiency, afterall, the cooler the better, right? :) But I think putting 2 in front, 2 at side, 2 at top, and the rear is enough. But personally if it was me, I like to get everything over with in one shot so I don't ever have to touch them every again. So you can use all the fan slots if you want the best cooling and don't feel like switching them or moving for like the next 5-10 years maybe.

Solution

-Lone-

Admirable
Also, if you don't use that much space, you could bump the HDD down to 2TB if you want to save about $100 to buy your peripherals like headset, keyboard, mouse, or fans. If you need suggestions on those, I could try to find some good ones, but I don't use headsets, so I can't really help there, lol. But all of those things are very personal, so it depends on what you want/need out of your keyboard or mouse. Like lights on the keyboard, macros, things like that. The PSU is more than you need, but more is better than not enough, you can do some super heavy overclocking with your system with that much extra power :)

Edit: Another thing, if you ever wonder/worry what that compatibility note is at the bottom of your build, it just means it won't run at it's maximum frequency of 2400MHz until you OC your CPU, so that's it, it's not to worry about, just in case if you wanted to know :)

Latest posts