Building a $600 base computer to expand later

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ajsellaroli

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
should I start a new thread? this one's gotten obnoxiously long. I am.. I am going to start a new thread. Let this one die, please, just let it lie.

RIP

or i guess it could life just a little longer

Look at my signature. I have OCed my Celeron D (Socket 478) to 3.6Ghz+ and it is still running. OCing doesn't kill the CPU fast as long as you have good CPU cooler and NO outrageous voltages (ie 1.5+vcc, well may be my Celeron has more than 1.5vcc :lol:). By the time the CPU dies the technology would have passed it by a few generations.

ajsellaroli

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Dude shadow, that's awesome. I only wish I had known people were doing this when I got my first dell. I'm really excited now to build an OC my next computer. I guess i've still got time - I'm 19.

you added more than a whole ghz to your processor speed...unbelievable. makes you wonder why intel doesn't just sell them overclocked. wouldn't they make much more money that way?

ajsellaroli

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Since this thread hasn't completely died yet, I'll ask for more advice here.

I have some questions regarding this build, which is the one i'm thinking about doing now:

Processor: Intel core 2 duo e2180
$90
I chose this processor because it is cheap, I can overclock it, and it is what I can afford. When I can afford it, I'll buy one of the new Penryn quads.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo2-FR
$120
I chose this motherboard because it can overclock (supposedly) and because it will work with Penryn's when they come out.

Case: I like the Centurion 5.
$50
It looks good, seems to be well-recommended on here.

Ram: 4 gb ram (GeIL Value Series 4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800)
$120
I could go with less, but is this a good brand? (for video and photo, I probably only need 2 gigs, right?)

DVD burner: Sony NEC Optiarc 20X SATA DVD±RW Burner
$25
this doesn't really matter, they're all so cheap...

Graphics card: any suggestions?
someone suggested: HIS Hightech H260XTF512DDN-R Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Supported Video Card
$90
I'd love the nvidia 8800 gt, should I keep this in mind when looking for PSU?

PSU: No idea

Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar SE WD5000AAJS 500GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA
$100
I really want alot of space. This one seems to be a good choice.

Fans: I don't know..Are there any special fans I would need?

What PSU should I use, is the graphics sufficient, and does everything overall look compatible, and make sense?? I'm still wide open to suggestions

ajsellaroli

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007

what do you mean, where is it?

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
You got to build it and you need a rather expensive mobo. Asus Maximus Formula. Any how you could drop in a e2180 and over clock it to e6850 with one click. Boom 3.0 with one click. And this would be a 333.33 FSBx9= 3.0. Then all you got to do since the e2180 has a 10 multi you could click one more time and change the multi in the bios from 9 to 10, and you would be exactylt like mine in speed.