[SOLVED] Building a budget gaming rig need advice.

Oct 29, 2019
I need to build a budget gaming rig this Black Friday for around 500 pounds, it’s a tight budget here.

My current system is as follow:

i5 2500
Gpu: Radeon hd 5000 series
Hard drive: old Samsung hdd 350-400gb
Ram: 4gb

the reason I had to put my computer stats here is what could be a suitable upgrade to my system in 2019-2020.

my current game is mostly dota2 but I would be playing more of survival and age of empires definitive edition kind of games from steam.

Solution
If using a dedicated graphics card, I wouldn't bother with a 3400G. You're paying extra for the integrated graphics, and it's possible to get a higher-core-count processor without them for less. And for a gaming build, the 3400G's integrated graphics are not going to be ideal, so you would be better off paying less for a 6-core, 12-thread processor like a Ryzen 1600 or 2600, and putting the money saved toward a graphics card. Something like a Radeon RX 570 should offer more than three times the graphics performance of the 3400G's integrated graphics at a decent price.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor (£92.74 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX...
Oct 29, 2019
Will you be looking to re-use any parts? Case for example?
Is your current PSU suitable for gaming? Do you have a graphics card at the moment? Will you want one?

My bad I forgot to mention every detail, I am considering a micro-Atx build, I would be changing every part, since my current gpu is around 10 yrs old and starting to give problems, I would try to cheap out a bit on any small micro atx case and motherboard, I want to direct most of spending on processor and gpu and a normal ssd 480 gb.

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
If it's a whole rebuild, probably something like this.;

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor | £121.98 @ Aria PC
Motherboard | MSI B450M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | £92.99 @ Amazon UK
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | £69.34 @ Amazon UK
Storage | Sabrent Rocket 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | £39.99 @ Amazon UK
Storage | Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | £32.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Case | Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case | £36.61 @ Ebuyer
Power Supply | Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | £72.97 @ Laptops Direct
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £466.87
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-24 21:40 GMT+0000 |

This would give you decent on board graphics for now and you could add a GPU like a RX 580/590 for around £170 later.
It also gives you a decent speed boot SSD and storage for games.

If using a dedicated graphics card, I wouldn't bother with a 3400G. You're paying extra for the integrated graphics, and it's possible to get a higher-core-count processor without them for less. And for a gaming build, the 3400G's integrated graphics are not going to be ideal, so you would be better off paying less for a 6-core, 12-thread processor like a Ryzen 1600 or 2600, and putting the money saved toward a graphics card. Something like a Radeon RX 570 should offer more than three times the graphics performance of the 3400G's integrated graphics at a decent price.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor (£92.74 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£62.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£59.28 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£89.98 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 570 8 GB Video Card (£119.98 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Deepcool MATREXX 30 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£25.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£55.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £505.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-25 03:07 GMT+0000

In this example, I put a Ryzen 1600 with an RX 570 in there. I also upped the SSD to a 1TB Intel 660p, and did away with the traditional hard drive entirely. That way, there's plenty of room on the fast drive for your games, and they should load around twice as fast as they would on a hard drive. The PSU is only 450 watts, but a high-quality unit from Seasonic, so it should have no problem delivering its full stated capacity, which should make it suitable for the hardware in this build. You could optionally spend a little more for a higher capacity unit though. The case is a cheap MicroATX case with a tempered glass side panel. It's probably not very great, but appears to look alright, and it's a case. : P You could always pick another cheap case, if you wanted.

Last edited:
Solution
In this price range, I wouldn't bother with aftermarket cooling, since any money spent on that would probably be better put toward something else, like a better graphics card or other components.

Both of those processors come with capable stock coolers, and you are not likely to get noticeably better performance from better cooling. The Ryzen 1600 should include the Wraith Spire cooler, which is quite nice as far as stock coolers go, and can even allow for some overclocking to bring it up to more or less match the stock performance of a 1600X or 2600. The 2600 includes the somewhat shorter Wraith Stealth cooler, which isn't going to be as good for overclocking, but since the 2600 already performs similar to an overclocked 1600 out of the box, you don't need to overclock to get that performance.

As a side note, I noticed that 450W Seasonic Focus Gold PSU is not available at that lower price anymore, and at that price I would probably go with a different PSU with a bit higher capacity instead. Maybe something like that 650W Corsair TXM Gold in greigm78's build, or the 550W version of that PSU for about £9 less...

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020133-na

Edit: One other thing to consider as far as cooling goes, that inexpensive micro-ATX case only comes with one 120mm case fan in the back, but adding another in the front might be desirable to help control temperatures, since an RX 570 can put out a decent amount of heat.

If you have a little more budget to spare, you might also consider moving up to something like the recently-released Nvidia GTX 1650 SUPER, which should typically be around 15-20% faster than an RX 570 under load, while drawing around 75 watts less power, which should help with heat output...

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=476&sort=price&page=1

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019
I do appreciate for all replies, I was considering one more thing if I increase my budget is i5 9400f a better option?

if it is can I have a budget built guide for it and what would be my cooling options for 9400f?

Here is a stock suggestion for a budget gaming build:
You can substitute ryzen if you want, but for a pure gaming build, I think the better intel clock rates are what you want for games such as sims, mmo and strategy games.
If you primarily play multiplayer, then favor ryzen for the cheap threads.

------------------------------ budget build ---------------------------
For a budget gaming build, I like to recommend that one builds for future expandability.
That means paying a bit more up front for some parts that allow for an easier future upgrade.
A good rule of thumb is to budget twice as much for the graphics card than for the cpu.

Let me start where you might not expect:

1. Buy a good 450-550w psu or better. A quality 450w will run a card as good as a GTX1060 or possibly a GTX1070
Future graphics cards will be built on smaller 14nm so they should not need more power than today.
Look for a tier 1 or 2 quality unit on a list such as this:

Seasonic is always good I particularly like the seasonic focus line:
This 550w unit is often on sale.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151203

2. Buy a lga1151 Z370/Z390 based motherboard. About $100.
Do not begrudge paying a bit more now forZ390 which enables the upgrade to much stronger K suffix processors.

3. I suggest a i5-9400, but the i5-9400F seems to be more available. About $150 Passmark is 12084 with single thread at 2401.
Single thread performance is generally the most important spec for games. About $150.

In time, you can upgrade to any 8/9th gen I3/I5/I7 cpu that you want and market the original processor.

4. The intel stock cooler will do the job.

5. For ram, speed is not important. Buy a 16gb kit of 2 x 8gb DDR4
About $75. If you ever want 16gb, buy it up front in one kit; adding more ram is never guaranteed to work.
Heat spreaders are marketing and generally useless.

6. Cases are a personal thing. Buy one you love. Most will do the job for <$50.
Here is a Silverstone PS08 for $50; It fits a smaller M-ATX motherboard.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163223

7. The graphics card is the most important component for gaming.
I think a GTX1050 or GTX1050ti would be appropriate, plan on $120-$150.
You could go stronger in the video card if your budget permits and your games need it.
I like EVGA as a brand. They have a 90 day trade up program if you find you need something stronger. Read the fine print on the program.

On the other hand, you could build using the integrated 630 graphics which is quite good and see how you do.
By deferring on the graphics card, you will get a better idea of what you really need.
Integrated is fine for sims, but not fast action games. Note that the i5-9400F does not include integrated graphics.

8. Lastly, I will never build again without a SSD for the "C" drive. It makes everything you do so much quicker.
A intel 660p 1tb drive is $85 or so.

I think this totals about $600.
-------------good luck------------