Question Building a budget PC and need help.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 10, 2021
So, I recently bought this case-- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079X2P3TR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1--, and got it at a steal for $27. It has mixed reviews, so time will tell if the case is worth it or not, but I do want to work on finding just the basics for now, so I can get it up, and running.

According to this-- https://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/six-basic-components-computer-needs-function-23240.html--, there are six essentials for the Desktop to work. Motherboard, CPU, RAM, ROM, Secondary Sotrage, and Software/OS(I have this sixth option decided upon.

So, the item description says the tower can fit ATX, Mini-ATX, and I don't have the main site pulled up to show me the third one, but there was a third form factor on the list. I'm mainly focusing on ATX, because most of the motherboards look decently sized. So, I kinda wanna see if someone could help me budget a relatively low-cost VR build. I simply want to run Oculus Quest with Oculus Link-- compatibility here: https://support.oculus.com/444256562873335/.

So, I feel like the motherboard/CPU come first. What would you recommend?

Now, I'm not too big on PC/Desktop jargon, so do be patient with me if I misunderstand something, lol. And, if possible, could I probably save money and just import a couple of parts from my OptiPlex 7010, and save some bucks there?

Updates will come with each additional question, so going to try and make it a Q&A for people who find this in the future.

Question 1: https://duckduckgo.com/?q="ATX"+motherboard&t=brave&iar=shopping&iax=shopping&ia=shopping These are what I am looking at, currently. Are the ones in this search any good?

Apr 10, 2021

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
So, would the i5-10400F prevent me from needing a GPU, or would I likely still need it?
The i5-10400F does not have integrated graphics, only the i5-10400. Plus, the integrated graphics on that CPU (Intel UHD 630) aren't that good and you'll most likely require a discrete gaming GPU if you want to see smooth performance. However, GPU prices are really high at the moment so I personally recommend you get something like a Ryzen 5 3400G (this requires a new mobo change to fit the AM4 chipset) which has Vega 11 integrated graphics. Vega 11 will be more than enough if you're looking to build a budget gaming PC. The good thing about getting this CPU is you'll be able to save some money on your power supply because the CPU is less demanding in the amount of power it needs.

Reactions: EnrohNyved

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The i5-10400F does not have integrated graphics, only the i5-10400. Plus, the integrated graphics on that CPU (Intel UHD 630) aren't that good and you'll most likely require a discrete gaming GPU if you want to see smooth performance. However, GPU prices are really high at the moment so I personally recommend you get something like a Ryzen 5 3400G (this requires a new mobo change to fit the AM4 chipset) which has Vega 11 integrated graphics. Vega 11 will be more than enough if you're looking to build a budget gaming PC. The good thing about getting this CPU is you'll be able to save some money on your power supply because the CPU is less demanding in the amount of power it needs.
He would be better of with getting a dedicated gpu on the used market with that 10400(f)/11400(f) than going APU . And i mean some thing that you can still decently use, not something really low end.

Apr 10, 2021
EBcchkauTEeX._UX970_TTW__.jpg

Here's an image of the sizes for SSD/HDD, and max Graphics cards that it can take. What could I look for as far as SSD/HDD, and would it be worth it trying to fill all 4 storage slots, or would that be overcomplicating the build?

Reactions: punkncat

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
What psu do you have? Looking at size is anything possible for a gpu The psu is necessary for wattage, not all psu can support all gpu.

Is up to you to decide how many storage devices you want. Could just look for a 4gb hdd for instance and further only ssd.

Apr 10, 2021
What psu do you have? Looking at size is anything possible for a gpu The psu is necessary for wattage, not all psu can support all gpu.

Is up to you to decide how many storage devices you want. Could just look for a 4gb hdd for instance and further only ssd.
I have eyes on a hitachi 3TB 3.5" on pcliquidation for about $40-$50 bucks.

GoofyOne

Commendable
Apr 4, 2021
So, would the i5-10400F prevent me from needing a GPU, or would I likely still need it?

I don't think the inbuilt gpu in that will be powerful enough to run your game with Occulus Link VR. You will still need one of the add-on gpu cards that the compatibility list mentions. The add-on graphics card (gpu) you get is probably going to be the biggest expense.

Have a look at add-on graphics cards, and their prices, see what you would be comfortable with paying. The specifications for each graphic card usually state a recommended power rating for the power supply .. ie: the minimum number of watts your power supply should be.

Maybe have a look at pricing of GTX 1660 cards, or Radeon RX 580 .. those both are on your compatibility list. They are older cards but will still play games fine.

{GoofyOne's 2c worth}

GoofyOne

Commendable
Apr 4, 2021
I completely neglected this, but what would you recommend for a power supply?

As the other person said, your choice of power supply will depend on the graphics card you decide upon. The manufacturer of the graphics card will give a suggested rating in watts for the power supply in your computer. I usually use that and add 150 on top, so if they recommend a 500W power supply (psu), then I would probably go for a 650W power supply to allow a bit of leeway.

The power supply out of your Optiplex 7010 is probably not going to be good enough for your new pc. It is difficult to answer that though because we don't really know what is in your Optiplex machine.

There are a few free utility programs that people use alot when chatting about problems with their pc. TechPowerUp GPU-Z, CPUID CPU-Z, and CrystalDiskInfo. You should be able to install those on your Optiplex 7010 and then take screenshots of the application window when you run one of those utility programs. That will give folks a better idea of what you have in it so they can answer your questions better.

To be honest here, I think you will be better off getting a pre-built gaming pc from a computer store. Even very tech savvy people have problems building their own pc's from separate components. Just make sure the graphics card they have in it will be compatible with Occulus Rift, as in that it is on that compatibility list. Often stores will allow you to customise your own, so to speak, and use their website builder to specify what components you want.

Take your time .. don't let the salesreps ram a machine down your throat. if they are putting lots of pressure on .. say I have to check with my dad to see if I can afford it ... I'll get back to you.

Before you buy anything ... ask on here .. or even better ask other people that play that game and use Occulus Rift, if the machine you are thinking of will be ok. I suggest don't ask about individual components though just list all the components in the computer you are thinking of buying and ask folks that use Occulus Rift if they think that will be ok.

{GoofyOne's 2c worth ..... wheww after all that typing I need a break ... us oldies tire out easily}

Reactions: EnrohNyved