[SOLVED] Building a Computer Incapable of Playing Videos?

Oct 11, 2021
Hey all,
Here's your chance to really think outside the box.

[TMI removed]
eliminating ALL videos is a sacrifice I'm willing to make in order to conquer this affliction. I've tried cleanbrowsing, browser software, and other 'net nanny'-like software but always find a way around them; software is not enough.

I want to build a computer or modify my existing computer so that when I visit a page on youtube, or anywhere else for that matter, the video simply won't load because the hardware in the computer cannot play videos.

What are my options for making this happen?

Looking forward to your reply.
Mark

Solution
Hey thanks I appreciate your help.

Yeah I'd definitely not have a computer at all or internet if I didn't have an online business. Such is the challenge.

However, the steps I've outlined above will work very well.

If you have a computer that can be used for modern use for a business, it will be able to play video, it's simply a basic function. If you are talking about blocking sites, you can do that with a router, just have someone set an admin PW on the router you don't know, and setup restrictions on whatever web sites you feel should be blocked.
Oct 11, 2021
Thanks Terry! I really appreciate your response.

First I'm going to switch to Linux, then have the folks over at coldpath remotely install the DNS application Cleanbrowsing. With windows I know how to uninstall it, but not on linux! So I will use that to my advantage.

If for whatever reason that doesn't work, I will keep in mind the old 90's era computer like you recommended. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks Terry! I really appreciate your response.

First I'm going to switch to Linux, then have the folks over at coldpath remotely install the DNS application Cleanbrowsing. With windows I know how to uninstall it, but not on linux! So I will use that to my advantage.

If for whatever reason that doesn't work, I will keep in mind the old 90's era computer like you recommended. Thanks again for your help.
Why do this? What is the goal? Are you trying to help yourself with an addiction of sorts? If so the first thing I would do is seek help from a professional. Second, you can blacklist all websites like how schools can via the family options in windows 10. Simply set up the options for the type of content to block. Then create another profile and set it up to be a child account. Then RNG a password for the admin account and change it to that you no longer have access to it. Now you have a computer in which you can only login to the child profile which automatically blacklists adult content and you cannot change that unless you reformat the computer. You can also do something similar to your phone. Or you can get a cheap flip phone and not pay for internet access and only be able to sms and call.

Oct 11, 2021

Yeah I'd definitely not have a computer at all or internet if I didn't have an online business. Such is the challenge.

If you have a computer that can be used for modern use for a business, it will be able to play video, it's simply a basic function. If you are talking about blocking sites, you can do that with a router, just have someone set an admin PW on the router you don't know, and setup restrictions on whatever web sites you feel should be blocked.

Reactions: helper800
Solution
Oct 13, 2021
Hey all,
Here's your chance to really think outside the box.

[TMI removed]
eliminating ALL videos is a sacrifice I'm willing to make in order to conquer this affliction. I've tried cleanbrowsing, browser software, and other 'net nanny'-like software but always find a way around them; software is not enough.

I want to build a computer or modify my existing computer so that when I visit a page on youtube, or anywhere else for that matter, the video simply won't load because the hardware in the computer cannot play videos.

What are my options for making this happen?

Looking forward to your reply.
Mark
Hey Mark, one thing you could try is going into your router's settings and blacklisting domains so you can work better. It can block any domain/IP, so all you have to do is go into the settings and block the domains

The one issue with this kind of solution is there is always another site with any kind of content on it that I am sure the user is trying to block. You can blacklist 100% of the sites you know of now but one google search later and boom you just added at least one more to add to the blacklist except you cant now because you password protected the router settings to something you no longer know.