[SOLVED] Building a computer

Dec 8, 2019
I am building a computer and was wondering if these components are compatible with one another...

Corsair cx 550
Amd ryzen 5 2600x
Kingston hyperX fury 16gb 3200mhz ddr4 sdrai dimm 288-pin
wd blue 500gb m.2 2280 serial ata-600
tuf plus b450-gaming motherboard
rx 590 8gb.

And when building the computer itself, should I know something before taking the task?

Solution
Thanks for the proper answer. And why do you think it's a concern? Is it too small or too poor quality? I have looked online and came across info that this build should be okay with 550w psu and that psu is recommended by a lot of people. (and I am looking for a budget mid-tier psu)

It mostly depends on the version of your graphics card and it's power requirements. If your card requires both a 6-pin and an 8-pin PCIe power connector from the power supply (between 225 and 300 watts requirement), then I'd be very concerned about it as you're really pushing the limits of what the power supply can provide. If the card only requires a single 8-pin power connector (between 75 and 225 watts requirement), I'd be less concerned.

The...
Dec 8, 2019
Thank you for answering, I'll keep a lookout for bigger psu then.
But the other parts like storage and ram will go to the motherboard without a problem? And when putting them together should I know something apart from normal?

MSYF27

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019
Thank you for answering, I'll keep a lookout for bigger psu then.
But the other parts like storage and ram will go to the motherboard without a problem? And when putting them together should I know something apart from normal?
Any context on what you'll be doing with the system? That would help out with what to buy especially with budget constraints and availability in your area.

Dec 8, 2019
Any context on what you'll be doing with the system? That would help out with what to buy especially with budget constraints and availability in your area.
Gaming and just everyday use. But I was just wondering if those parts go together nicely, I have part of them ordered already (got em from sales). So all I need to know if those parts are compatible or do I need to return part of them. What I know, they will go together but I am just an amateur.

Dec 8, 2019
There's nothing wrong with your component selection (other than the power supply is of concern).
There's nothing special that you need to know ahead of time,

-Wolf sends
Thanks for the proper answer. And why do you think it's a concern? Is it too small or too poor quality? I have looked online and came across info that this build should be okay with 550w psu and that psu is recommended by a lot of people. (and I am looking for a budget mid-tier psu)

DSzymborski

Titan

The thing is, the RX 590, while a mid-tier GPU, is not a mid-tier PSU in terms of power use. A 590 at load can be at 240-250W with brief spikes to nearly 300W. While a 550W is enough wattage, I would personally move up in quality if using this PSU.

If you want to use this PSU, I'd get a 1660 instead of a 590. Problem is, you lose the savings as well, since the 1660 is more expensive for its comparable performance, usually $20-$30 more.

The CX 550 is hardly a bad PSU. I recommend it all the time. But for the hungriest GPUs, I strongly urge people to think of quality in addition to capacity. A CX 550 would hardly be a disaster here; it's a competent PSU and won't burn your house down. But given you'll be using this for years ideally, I think a quality upgrade with this GPU would be prudent.

Wolfshadw

Titan

It mostly depends on the version of your graphics card and it's power requirements. If your card requires both a 6-pin and an 8-pin PCIe power connector from the power supply (between 225 and 300 watts requirement), then I'd be very concerned about it as you're really pushing the limits of what the power supply can provide. If the card only requires a single 8-pin power connector (between 75 and 225 watts requirement), I'd be less concerned.

The above assumes you are purchasing the CX 550 new.. If you're sure you're getting the newer version (2017) AND the graphics card only has the one 8-pin PCIe power requirement, then you're probably ok. Personally, I'd opt for a better unit regardless.

-Wolf sends

Solution