Building a computing device for COMSOL and ABAQUS

jatin1990

Reputable
Jun 28, 2014
Hello to everyone,

I've just started my PhD in Mechanical Engineering. And we've to buy a computing machine of high end to use ABAQUS and COMSOL software; we have to buy latest licenses of most recent version of these software as well. Can any body recommend the machines which can run these both software.

P.S: We have to use Windows because there seems to be some graphics problems with ABAQUS for other Operating System.

P.S.2: We've a budget of almost $10k.

Thank you for your time.

Solution
For $10K you might as well go ape s**t with what you get. Intel Core i7‑6950X, 3x GTX Titan X (Pascal), 1500W Platinum PSU, 3x 2K monitors for surround and simulation real estate, and any mobo that supports 3 PCIE x16 and lga 2011 v3. I haven't the slightest idea what you would need for that, I just thought of the best you could buy for that kind of money.

LilTwist

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
For $10K you might as well go ape s**t with what you get. Intel Core i7‑6950X, 3x GTX Titan X (Pascal), 1500W Platinum PSU, 3x 2K monitors for surround and simulation real estate, and any mobo that supports 3 PCIE x16 and lga 2011 v3. I haven't the slightest idea what you would need for that, I just thought of the best you could buy for that kind of money.

Solution

ThomasLeong

Honorable
May 27, 2013
The websites of both software manufacturers do provide a guide as to hardware requirements, and it seems that ABAQUS is more particular on the graphics card by specifying the model to use. You should follow the manufacturers' guidelines.