Question Building a current gaming pc, need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2022
Hello, I'm brandon. I'm building a current gen (9th gen) pc with ryzen or intel. I'm going to buy the high end bundles, such as the ryzen 9 5950x with the asus rog strix 570e, or an intel 12900ks CPU.

I was told by my advisor to not buy the latest gen that is coming out shortly until 6 months after release, when bugs and instability has been fixed

I would like to know if that I should buy this bundle and keep my four internal hdds, what case or chassis I should buy. I want a chassis that has blu ray drive placeholder, maybe 1 or two, a front panel usb slot for internal usb and micro sd card readers, four or more hhd slots, a slot for graphics card, another set or two of usb ports, a slot for a video gaming capture port, and more.

I need basically a case that had most of the bells and whistles that my current case has. I think my current case is a mid tower or full tower but I cant be quite sure. It fits into a large suitcase so it may be a mid tower.

I am buying all the parts on Amazon, and paying through a 3rd party who will buy it for me with affirms since I have no credit score (I am disabled and have a rep payee so I cannot gain credit legally.)

My rep payee hopefully will have enough credit score to sign up on affirm and be approved for a loan of 48 months of a purchase of 1500 or more with a maximum budget of 200 dollars or less in monthly payments for all the items together. If not, I'll look to my advisor and see if he can do it. If not I wont be able to get a new pc until I can save up the 5000 dollars or less (I think that amounts to 200 dollars in 48 month loan), which probably wont happen for the rest of my life (I am working on a project, but i am willing to put it on hold if i can buy the pc now, not save it for later. Saving 200 dollars a month for a pc can take 25 months, or a year and 1 month. Who knows what can happen with that money within that time? To me theres a big difference.)

I have a small family that is poor and struggling so they cannot do it for me. And I have no friends that are wealthy enough to do it either, just my two contacts.

Unless one of you kind souls might offer me the opportunity to send you money every month for the purchase of a pc by you. (I doubt it tho, because you dont know me or know if I am trustworthy...)

Anyway back on subject. What case should I buy so there is breathing room for the pcs components and hardware inside?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello, I'm brandon. I'm building a current gen (9th gen) pc with ryzen or intel. I'm going to buy the high end bundles, such as the ryzen 9 5950x with the asus rog strix 570e, or an intel 12900ks CPU.

I was told by my advisor to not buy the latest gen that is coming out shortly until 6 months after release, when bugs and instability has been fixed

I would like to know if that I should buy this bundle and keep my four internal hdds, what case or chassis I should buy. I want a chassis that has blu ray drive placeholder, maybe 1 or two, a front panel usb slot for internal usb and micro sd card readers, four or more hhd slots, a slot for graphics card, another set or two of usb ports, a slot for a video gaming capture port, and more.

I need basically a case that had most of the bells and whistles that my current case has. I think my current case is a mid tower or full tower but I cant be quite sure. It fits into a large suitcase so it may be a mid tower.

I am buying all the parts on Amazon, and paying through a 3rd party who will buy it for me with affirms since I have no credit score (I am disabled and have a rep payee so I cannot gain credit legally.)

My rep payee hopefully will have enough credit score to sign up on affirm and be approved for a loan of 48 months of a purchase of 1500 or more with a maximum budget of 200 dollars or less in monthly payments for all the items together. If not, I'll look to my advisor and see if he can do it. If not I wont be able to get a new pc until I can save up the 5000 dollars or less (I think that amounts to 200 dollars in 48 month loan), which probably wont happen for the rest of my life (I am working on a project, but i am willing to put it on hold if i can buy the pc now, not save it for later. Saving 200 dollars a month for a pc can take 25 months, or a year and 1 month. Who knows what can happen with that money within that time? To me theres a big difference.)

I have a small family that is poor and struggling so they cannot do it for me. And I have no friends that are wealthy enough to do it either, just my two contacts.

Unless one of you kind souls might offer me the opportunity to send you money every month for the purchase of a pc by you. (I doubt it tho, because you dont know me or know if I am trustworthy...)

Anyway back on subject. What case should I buy so there is breathing room for the pcs components and hardware inside?
Long and drawn out.

The 12900KS is not 9th gen and is in no way needed for a gaming PC.

Your probably going to be better off stating what country, monitor resolution and refresh rate of the one you have or list the one you wish to buy.

I haven't built anything with a disc drive or SD reader in several years.

Now for a capture card, not needed unless your going to be using your Xbox or something. You can record game play or live stream without it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcVSxchn0uM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pBPb15ykCI

More of a gaming PC than most people need up to 1440p resolution.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor ($342.98 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($88.49 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($71.93 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P2 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($164.59 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB LHR 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING LHR Video Card ($772.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks PH-ES614PC_BK ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.96 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM 64-bit ($119.95 @ Adorama)
Total: $2140.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-15 19:20 EDT-0400

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The biggest waste of money so far by Intel has been the 12900K. That's exceeded by only one cpu, the 12900KS. That bundle is worthless imho. For 98% of the performance, you pay more than double the cost of a 12700k. It's not all in the motherboard/cpu costs, but just as much in Cooling costs. You are looking at a cpu that easily hits 250w in heat output, you aren't going to cool that easily on air, if you can then you wasted your money anyway because it's obvious you aren't using the cpu.

It takes 360mm/420mm aio or full custom loop to keep the 12900k/KS temps in check. Which means a case that not only has the support for such large rads, but also the airflow to feed it.

You'd be much better off overall with the 5950x bundle paired with some decent ram and a decent cooler unless you could opt for a 12700k bundle. Just be careful with motherboard choices, any of the flagship cpus require a decent mobo, but no necessity to go over the top unless you are into extreme OC, since none of the flagship cpus really get any benefit from less than extreme OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.