Building a Desktop for the first time. Are these specs OK?

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Heya Team,

Have never built a desktop before, but am thinking of giving it a
whirl. I've already got a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and a sound card.

The PC will be used for lots of digital photo editing (huge files),
gaming, some multimedia stuff, and basic web browsing.

All these items will be purchased from NewEgg.

CASE: $98
ANTEC Silver Aluminum Performance 1 Series ATX Mid-Tower Case with
Side Window Panel, Swiveling Front Control Panel features LED Display,
Model "P-160WF"

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-144&depa=1
Processor: $219
Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512KB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading
Technology

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-156&depa=1
Motherboard - $171
ASUS "P4C800-E DELUXE" i875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478
CPU

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-464&depa=1
POWER SUPPLY - $55
CoolMax CT-450: 450W ATX Power Supply w/ 2 double ball bearing Fans
also w/ 1 Tri-light LED Fan

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-159-002&depa=1
VIDEO CARD - $268
ATI RADEON 9800 PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-361&depa=1
RAM - $171
Corsair Value Select Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-480&depa=0
HARD DRIVE - $105
Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, MODEL 6Y160M0, OEM Drive Only

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-322&depa=1
CDRW / DVD - $48.50
Lite-On Black 52X32X52X16 Combo Drive, Model SOHC-5232K, OEM Bulk Pack

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-106-932&depa=1
Any thoughts on these specs or any components that WON'T work
together?

I'm looking for a very quick PC that will last for several years and
am willing to spend between 1000 - 1200 dollars.

Thanks!

Steve

Philo

"Steve" <steve7875@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Heya Team,
>
> Have never built a desktop before, but am thinking of giving it a
> whirl. I've already got a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and a sound card.
>
> The PC will be used for lots of digital photo editing (huge files),
> gaming, some multimedia stuff, and basic web browsing.
>
> All these items will be purchased from NewEgg.

i built a machine for a professional photographer
about 18 months ago.
you will prob fill that 160gig drive a lot faster than you'd believe...
you may want to go even larger...
(I started him out with a 100gig internal drive and now he's got a few
externals
up around 200gig)
and of course rememember to back-up to dvd often!

> Motherboard - $171
> ASUS "P4C800-E DELUXE" i875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478
> CPU

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-464&depa=1

Any reason you chose this mobo? What a beast! :)

> HARD DRIVE - $105
> Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, MODEL 6Y160M0, OEM Drive Only

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-322&depa=1

You chose a board with RAID but are buying one drive? If this PC is going
to last you, you might just start off big and go 2 x 120 GB or something.
It's not like you won't have the room in that case.

> CDRW / DVD - $48.50
> Lite-On Black 52X32X52X16 Combo Drive, Model SOHC-5232K, OEM Bulk Pack

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-106-932&depa=1

I have a silver Antec case and the white drives look better. They are also
better for painting silver, if you wanted to go that way.

"Steve" <steve7875@yahoo.com> wrote...

> Have never built a desktop before, but am thinking of giving it a
> whirl. I've already got a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and a sound card.
>
> The PC will be used for lots of digital photo editing (huge files),
> gaming, some multimedia stuff, and basic web browsing.
>
> RAM - $171
> Corsair Value Select Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

How "huge" are those photos, and how many layers of editing do you normally
accomplish? Consider whether 2 GB RAM might not be better to prevent
frequent swapping to the PageFile.

> HARD DRIVE - $105
> Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, MODEL 6Y160M0, OEM Drive Only

That drive will not be any faster than a typical IDE HD. For performance,
you should consider putting your OS and Apps (including Temp files and swap
space for Photoshop) on a fast RAID 0 array (e.g., a pair of WD Raptor 74 GB
10K RPM HDs). Then add a large IDE HD for data storage. If you have "huge"
files, you'll need the storage.

> CDRW / DVD - $48.50
> Lite-On Black 52X32X52X16 Combo Drive, Model SOHC-5232K, OEM Bulk Pack

You should have an 8X DVD+/-RW (Lite-On LDW 811S?) instead for archive
storage of those "huge" files.

> I'm looking for a very quick PC that will last for several years and
> am willing to spend between 1000 - 1200 dollars.

Right now, you are choking the system with the single 7200 RPM SATA HD.

Unfrotunately, the inexpensive RAM sticks that you have chosen may or may
not work in that motherboard. If they don't, return them and get the higher
end Corsair dual channel RAM sticks that are available.

--
DaveW

"Steve" <steve7875@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Heya Team,
>
> Have never built a desktop before, but am thinking of giving it a
> whirl. I've already got a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and a sound card.
>
> The PC will be used for lots of digital photo editing (huge files),
> gaming, some multimedia stuff, and basic web browsing.
>
> All these items will be purchased from NewEgg.

> CASE: $98
> ANTEC Silver Aluminum Performance 1 Series ATX Mid-Tower Case with
> Side Window Panel, Swiveling Front Control Panel features LED Display,
> Model "P-160WF"

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-144&depa=1
> Processor: $219
> Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512KB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading
> Technology

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-156&depa=1
> Motherboard - $171
> ASUS "P4C800-E DELUXE" i875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478
> CPU

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-464&depa=1
> POWER SUPPLY - $55
> CoolMax CT-450: 450W ATX Power Supply w/ 2 double ball bearing Fans
> also w/ 1 Tri-light LED Fan

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-159-002&depa=1
> VIDEO CARD - $268
> ATI RADEON 9800 PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-361&depa=1
> RAM - $171
> Corsair Value Select Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-480&depa=0
> HARD DRIVE - $105
> Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, MODEL 6Y160M0, OEM Drive Only

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-322&depa=1
> CDRW / DVD - $48.50
> Lite-On Black 52X32X52X16 Combo Drive, Model SOHC-5232K, OEM Bulk Pack

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-106-932&depa=1
> Any thoughts on these specs or any components that WON'T work
> together?
>
> I'm looking for a very quick PC that will last for several years and
> am willing to spend between 1000 - 1200 dollars.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Steve

Steve7875 wrote:>Heya Team,

>Have never built a desktop before, but am thinking of giving it a
>whirl. I've already got a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and a sound card.
>
>The PC will be used for lots of digital photo editing (huge files),
>gaming, some multimedia stuff, and basic web browsing.
>
>All these items will be purchased from NewEgg.

>CASE: $98
>ANTEC Silver Aluminum Performance 1 Series ATX Mid-Tower Case with
>Side Window Panel, Swiveling Front Control Panel features LED Display,
>Model "P-160WF"
>
>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-144&depa=1
>Processor: $219
>Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512KB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading
>Technology
>
>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-156&depa=1
>Motherboard - $171
>ASUS "P4C800-E DELUXE" i875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478
>CPU
>
>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-464&depa=1
>POWER SUPPLY - $55
>CoolMax CT-450: 450W ATX Power Supply w/ 2 double ball bearing Fans
>also w/ 1 Tri-light LED Fan
>
>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-159-002&depa=1
>VIDEO CARD - $268
>ATI RADEON 9800 PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP
>
>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-361&depa=1
>RAM - $171
>Corsair Value Select Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200
>
>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-480&depa=0
>HARD DRIVE - $105
>Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, MODEL 6Y160M0, OEM Drive Only
>
>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-322&depa=1
>CDRW / DVD - $48.50
>Lite-On Black 52X32X52X16 Combo Drive, Model SOHC-5232K, OEM Bulk Pack
>
>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-106-932&depa=1
>Any thoughts on these specs or any components that WON'T work
>together?
>
>I'm looking for a very quick PC that will last for several years and
>am willing to spend between 1000 - 1200 dollars.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Steve

You could get the best components on the market and there will always be
somebody here who says there's something better. If you've done your homework
and you're sure all those components will work together then I say go for it.

"DJS0302" <djs0302@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
> Steve7875 wrote:>Heya Team,
> >
> >Have never built a desktop before, but am thinking of giving it a
> >whirl. I've already got a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and a sound card.
> >
> >The PC will be used for lots of digital photo editing (huge files),
> >gaming, some multimedia stuff, and basic web browsing.
> >
> >All these items will be purchased from NewEgg.

> >CASE: $98
> >ANTEC Silver Aluminum Performance 1 Series ATX Mid-Tower Case with
> >Side Window Panel, Swiveling Front Control Panel features LED Display,
> >Model "P-160WF"
> >

>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-144&depa=1
> >Processor: $219
> >Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512KB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading
> >Technology
> >

>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-156&depa=1
> >Motherboard - $171
> >ASUS "P4C800-E DELUXE" i875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478
> >CPU
> >

>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-464&depa=1
> >POWER SUPPLY - $55
> >CoolMax CT-450: 450W ATX Power Supply w/ 2 double ball bearing Fans
> >also w/ 1 Tri-light LED Fan
> >

>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-159-002&depa=1
> >VIDEO CARD - $268
> >ATI RADEON 9800 PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP
> >

>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-361&depa=1
> >RAM - $171
> >Corsair Value Select Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200
> >

>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-480&depa=0
> >HARD DRIVE - $105
> >Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, MODEL 6Y160M0, OEM Drive Only
> >

>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-322&depa=1
> >CDRW / DVD - $48.50
> >Lite-On Black 52X32X52X16 Combo Drive, Model SOHC-5232K, OEM Bulk Pack
> >

>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-106-932&depa=1
> >Any thoughts on these specs or any components that WON'T work
> >together?
> >
> >I'm looking for a very quick PC that will last for several years and
> >am willing to spend between 1000 - 1200 dollars.
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Steve
> >

> You could get the best components on the market and there will always be
> somebody here who says there's something better. If you've done your
homework
> and you're sure all those components will work together then I say go for
it.

He wants this to last several years?, it won't last several months.
Technology is always evolving. In 7 years we'll be running at 10GHz.

>He wants this to last several years?, it won't last several months.
>Technology is always evolving. In 7 years we'll be running at 10GHz.

So are you saying he should wait 7 years before building his pc? Of course
anything you buy now is going to be eclipsed by something newer but if you keep
waiting till the next best thing then you'd never be able to build a pc.
The software developers and hardware manufacturers like people who think the
way you do. Do you upgrade your computer every time a new processor,
motherboard, or video card comes out? My first computer was a Windows 95
machine and I still use it. I'm using it right now to type this message.

> > CDRW / DVD - $48.50
> > Lite-On Black 52X32X52X16 Combo Drive, Model SOHC-5232K, OEM Bulk Pack
>
> You should have an 8X DVD+/-RW (Lite-On LDW 811S?) instead for archive
> storage of those "huge" files.

I've just built a similar machine for a friend and he had a combo CDRW+DVD
for reading his disks and a Plextor DVD writer. His reasoning was he didn't
want to use the DVD writer unless he was actyally writing a DVD, to "save
the laser" (his words). Not sure how relevant that statement is but is was
his money.

Adam S

> >He wants this to last several years?, it won't last several months.
> >Technology is always evolving. In 7 years we'll be running at 10GHz.
>
> So are you saying he should wait 7 years before building his pc? Of
course
> anything you buy now is going to be eclipsed by something newer but if you
keep
> waiting till the next best thing then you'd never be able to build a pc.
> The software developers and hardware manufacturers like people who think
the
> way you do. Do you upgrade your computer every time a new processor,
> motherboard, or video card comes out? My first computer was a Windows 95
> machine and I still use it. I'm using it right now to type this message.

I upgrade as i can afford, i recently built a new PC myself, my last build
was last year. So i try keep up, but it's a loosing battle.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Thanks so much for the great feedback folks!

I was mostly just sort of selecting components that looked like they
were high quality.

But I'm not married to any of them.

Have done a bunch of searches online but have yet to find an up to
date resource where people list their system specs and provide
recommendations.

Does something like this exist somewhere? Have been to Extremetech.com
and that seems like a good start.

Without opening a huge can of worms, if anyone has a "Dream System" in
mind for between 1000 and 1200 bucks, I'd love to hear it.

And again, thanks so much for your time!

Steve

PS - And in terms of this PC lasting a few years, I have a Gateway
that was purchased in 2001 that is still up and running quite well.
Pentium 4 at 1.6 GHZ. Added some RAM and is working fine.

Steve,

Get a subscription to MaximumPC magazine. They routinely run articles
addressing your concerns. Usually running them against standard benchmarks
so you compaper apples with apples. They also take low, medium, and high
end systems that are a bit long in the tooth and show how to improve them
with a few new components.

Alby