eocoolj

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Hello:

I have for some time now wanted to build a PC into a dedicated DVR. Recently I had a friend looking to get rid of an older Dell Dimension desktop. I believe it was their entry level model in 2004. I'm not in front of the computer right now, but if memory serves its a 2.8 ghz celeron, 256 megs of RAM, and a 40 gig HD. Very bare bones. He gave it to me a couple weeks ago, and since I got it, the only thing I have done with it is reformat and reinstall windows XP.

My plan is to keep it very bare bones software wise, and use it solely as a DVR. As far as hardware, I am planning on buying a 1 or 2 terrabyte hard drive for storage, a tuner card to capture incoming cable TV, and a PCI video card, hopefully capable of HDMI output. I would also ideally like some sort of wireless remote control (bluetooth?)

Can anybody offer some advice on my plan? Is it feasible with my current base computer? I would ideally like to be able to capture and playback HD video, but I'm thinking that will fill my HD quickly and stretch the limits of my computer's processing power.

Thoughts?

Yes, and in fact, it (HVR-2250) is newer and has dual tuners. It is an internal card, whereas the HVR-1950 is an external device that can be moved around from computer to computer if necessary.

eocoolj

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
in terms of video cards, do I just want anything capable of 1920x1080, or should i be looking for more than that? I am pretty sure the internal video is not capable of that resolution. Do I even car about achieving a resolution that high? Is the hauppage card/box going to be able to record off of comcast's feed?

thanks

Yes, the Hauppauge card will capture anything that is coming thru your cable. If you can view it on your monitor, you can record, and edit it. Just respect the copyright laws.

TRENDING THREADS