Building a gaming desktop, need some advice.

Skrad

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2014
Hello. I am currently thinking about building a gaming desktop. I have done an enormous amount of research and it all seems to point to building your own. However, I have very little knowledge on how to build a gaming desktop. I know that the graphics card is more important in a gaming computer so that's a start. The case I am wanting is the Cooler Master Elite 430. http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Elite-430-All-Black/dp/B00BCXF6KS/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t ---- I have checked on multiple websites and it seems that this is low cost and is of pretty good quality, although it weighs around 17 lbs. (Does weight matter on quality?) Anyways, I was hoping I could get a good build for around $1000. This does not include the monitor, keyboard, or mouse. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Skrad

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2014

The K in the processor stands for overclocking doesn't it? Is there a reason I should overclock? I know it increases the performance but would it make the computer have a shorter life since you're running it harder?

I'm assuming the motherboard fits in the case I mentioned since it's an ATX board.

On the graphics card, is it better to have one higher end graphics cards or two lesser ones? And would the said motherboard be able to hold 2 graphics card?

Last question, would this setup allow to me upgrade when needed? Say, the power source. Should I spend a little more and make sure I have enough power. I'm planning to add more fans since I believe mine comes with 1 or 2 but has room for 5 or 6.

Skrad

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2014
I actually forgot a question. On the RAM how come it says (1 x 8GB)? I usually see (2 x 4GB) or the other way around.

TheMohammadmo

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
For the graphics card question, yes you can upgrade it whenever needed. Yes this setup will alow you to upgrade. 1x8gb means that it has 1 stick of ram and that is 8gb. 2x4gb means that it has two sticks that are 4gb each and equal 8gb.

vinaykumar5320

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

You need not overclock it now... You can overclock it in future, when you feel the need of extra CPU power.
If you aren't interested in OCing, its good, pick up the non-K version, The money you'll save can be put into buying a better GPU, like R9 280x or even GTX 770.

It's always better to use one high-end GPU instead of 2. You can add another one, when today's high-end becomes outdated, to get some boost.

Yes, the Mobo has 2x PCI-Express 3.0 x16 Slots, so you can add 2 GPUs.

That Corsair 650W with Gold rated, PSU is a great one. However, you can go for 750W, so that you have enough headroom for the power,