Question Building A Good Gaming PC And Buying A Good Gaming Laptop

QueenMickey

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
Hey. I am wanting to make a new computer. I got a Optiplex 390 and want to upgrade it to something that will be able to have a great cpu/gpu, lots of ram and ssd storage. I want something that will be fast and work great without problems. I also want to get my niece and nephew gaming laptops with again lots of ram, great cpu, gpu, lots of ssd storage, and so on.

I don't have a price range, but I don't want to pay a lot. If I can upgrade something, that can work too. If you can tell me what I could get, post links to what I could get if you can, Thanks!

What budget do you have for laptop and desktop individually? Everybody has a max their comfortable with.

For the desktop:
Are you comfortable with building your own PC? It's easy and there are plenty of helpful tutorials online.
Do you need a monitor, keyboard, or mouse? If not, what monitor resolution and refresh do you have?

henry.j.kautz

Prominent
Jul 21, 2018
I have an Optiplex 390 that I've upgraded to be a gaming PC. I'm assuming yours has the i5-2400, as most do. You need to have at least 6GB of RAM and an RX 560 to avoid bottlenecking, along with a new PSU. It should cost you about 250$ including the Optiplex. I'll send a picture of mine:
DSC05077.JPG

It has an RX 460, 6 GB RAM, 2x 250 GB HDDs and one 128GB SSD. I also added a red LED fan to shine through the front panel, put in a metal mesh drive bay cover, and spray-painted it black.
It also has a new EVGA 450BR PSU, which works well.

---------------
As for the laptops, look into Acer Nitro models, they're reliable, cheap, and have decent specs.

QueenMickey

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
I'm wanting 1tb of ssd storage and would love 32gb of ram. I know the Optiplex 9010 has that, but want to make sure I get the right motherboard with the parts of a regular 9010 with USB 3.0, VGA, HDMI, Display Port, and so on. I also want to run Windows 10 on it. If I got that, would there be a great cpu/gpu I can add to make everything fast? If not that, then something like it. Could you post links to where I could get the motherboard(s) from and other parts. I do use ebay when it comes to that, so if someone would know a good seller. I just don't want to pay a lot.

On the desktops I want to pay under 600. Laptops around the same. With the laptop, if it has a great setup, but I can add better ram and storage, that be great.

Latest posts