[SOLVED] Building a GPU benchmark

Sedative

Prominent
Mar 1, 2019
Hi all, so I've developed a habit of collecting GPUs (the odder the better) and want to make a spreadsheet of all their benchmark in my free time. I had originally planned on using the parts from my first build as the benches parts, but those have gone missing and I have very limited knowledge of older mobos and cups. Anyone have a suggestion on what would work vest for a bench stretching a range from 4gig to a few hundred mega?

Ps: I'm always looking for interesting GPUs if anyones got some they want to get rid of. I will proudly display them on my wall.

Solution
A struggle to do benchmarks across large spans in the GPU space. Newer GPUs have features that simply don't exist on older cards, so a lot of their performance is tied up there.

You can certainly pick an old benchmark, but the newer cards will destroy them and the results will become less obvious as features available on the new cards go un-used. As mentioned above, you will eventually hit CPU limitations and all your cards will get the same results.

And if you go back far enough, you won't have things like dynamic lighting or vertex shaders or what have you.

Basically impossible to compare something like a Voodoo 2 to a Matrox Millenium except with game titles from that era. And that comparison would only be FPS, not image quality...
Well, ideally you use the most powerful CPU so it doesn't limit the graphics cards' potential when benchmarking. You'd have seen this when reading graphics cards benchmarks on various sites.

Not entirely sure about your final question about... VRAM? And just how old are the graphics cards you've gathered for this project? If they're so old, eg. uses AGP, then you'd be introducing variables into your benchmark results.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A struggle to do benchmarks across large spans in the GPU space. Newer GPUs have features that simply don't exist on older cards, so a lot of their performance is tied up there.

You can certainly pick an old benchmark, but the newer cards will destroy them and the results will become less obvious as features available on the new cards go un-used. As mentioned above, you will eventually hit CPU limitations and all your cards will get the same results.

And if you go back far enough, you won't have things like dynamic lighting or vertex shaders or what have you.

Basically impossible to compare something like a Voodoo 2 to a Matrox Millenium except with game titles from that era. And that comparison would only be FPS, not image quality, they used different rendering methods. Back then it was actually quite the experience switching GPUs, every generation added new distinct features.

If these are all PCIe cards, unigine heaven or valley will maybe work. There is an even older one, but I can't quite recall what it was called.

Solution