[SOLVED] Building a mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

coltoe

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
I have heard alot of buzz on Mac's ... all good... I know how to put a pc together but I have no info on building a mac.... In fact all I hear is a mac can cost more to buy .... if you go dirt cheep... But I hear they are better

The ? is can you build one?

And where can you get the parts?

the better is very subjective, some people (like myself) what price/performance, others don't care and want aesthetics, since apple moved to x86 hardware there really isn't a lick of difference any more in hardware

halcyon

Splendid

aesthetics. Hmmm... I tend to think of Mac hardware as being more "industrial" in nature than simply looking different...or aesthetics.

What do I mean? Well, check the gauge of the aluminum of the Mac Pro chassis. Check the layout of the internals of a Mac Pro or the design of an iMac. The materials used in the MacBook Pro line has a good amount of aluminum and GLASS. ...might not be true but those laptops may hold up better than the plastics that you typically find. It is good to see that some manufacturers are starting to really employ magnesium and other allows in their laptop's chassis. You pay for this build design, but to many its worth it. ...and to many it is not.

You can build a Hackintosh with some skill and patience if you google the subject there are sites that'll even tell you what to buy for best compatibility. ...might not be a bad project, could be kind of fun.

...but it won't be quite a Mac and compatibility will likely be an issue you'll always be familiar with.

Are Macs better? I think not. They're just different in some ways that some like.

mac pro chassis is interesting, though its tough to get your hands on one for a decent price, though i have seen 2 people buy them then use them for their gaming computer chassis, as for the laptop side, i have been getting PC laptops for years and never had a problem with the plastic on them or the build quality, though i tend to find the hardware is outdated in a few years needing a new laptop by then, hoping this current laptop lasts the 3 years as far as performance goes, hence i wouldn't be able to get a mac, buying a new one every 2-3 years would hurt the wallet a lot

from someone who builds their own computers, the macs aren't worth, the iMacs a pretty terrible for price, especially the newest line which uses laptop gpu's instead of desktop ones, then the Mac Pro's are grossly overpriced for the hardware, though if you want OSX you usually are pretty stuck as its either pay for the hardware or hackintosh

as for gauge of aluminum, i prefer decent gauge steel cases first, then aluminum, the current case i have for my htpc/file server and my gaming computer is the Cooler Master Centurion 590, great case for the price when i bought them ($40 a piece)

Status
Not open for further replies.