[SOLVED] Building a mining/gaming computer, worried about some component incompatibility- Help? :(

andsoitgoes

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2014
Hi all,

having a bit of a stressful day here and need some assistance.

I am building backwards from my video cards (got really lucky with some 3070s) however when I was doing some last minute research on the motherboard I was getting (the Tomahawk X570 with a 5600x chip) I came across some people having issues with running cards off of risers.

What I intended on doing was to have the 2 cards in there to do mining and have a relatively low end card for playing games (I’ll be running stuff like Persona 4 golden and WoW for my wife) - However, it seems there are issues with the PCIe 4, risers and running multiple cards. Here are the threads I’m referring to:

View: https://reddit.com/r/EtherMining/comments/lk1mgw/msi_x570_tomahawk_forces_pcie_40_on_secondary/

View: https://reddit.com/r/gpumining/comments/l408fv/x570_tomahawk_2_gpu_issue/

there doesn’t seem to be any solution to this, but unfortunately in my impulsivity I bought a 5600x CPU from a non-returnable location so I’m kind of stuck there. I either would need to try and resell and lose money and switch to Intel which I’d rather not, I like the future potential of having the x570 board, or be stuck with only 2 cards - OR I’m just missing the bigger picture and this won’t be a worry for me. I also see that there are USB issues that AMD has identified, but I presume those will be patched at some point.

Can someone advise me on the best situation here? My usage for the system is going to be 80% mining, and MAYBE gaming occasionally, but I’d love to be able to offload that to a really basic level card rather than have to remove one of my GPUs from it‘s main job, especially if it’s playing Persona.

Thanks in advance.

To clarify the full parts of the system (which I’m still preparing to build):

Ryzen 5 5600x
G.Skill Trident RGB 16gb
WD Blue NVME
Corsair RM850 PSU
MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk
2x Nvidia 3070 GPU
Case TBD
Fans, lots, TBD

Thanks in advance everyone!