Building a Music AMD PC

G

I'm finally going to do it. I've been waiting and now that the Abit KG7 is out, I'm going to build my PC.

I'm building a PC to make MUSIC. Any recommendations? Does anyone know of sites to check for compatiblity between the different parts of the PC?

Here is what I'll look into getting right now:

AMD 1200 ( does it matter if its a type 'C' or 'A' ),
Abit KG7 ( yes, they're finally out ),
256 or 512 DDR ram,
DVD - I'm not sure which one,
CDRW - dito
My soundcard will be a Creamware Luna 2 (most likely),
I don't know what Graphics card to get

I heard that Pentium 3's are better for audio and AMD is better for having lots of plug-ins. I will use my computer to record audio and run sofsynths. I think I might still have to go with AMD if this is true, unless the Pentium is a must.

I've never built a PC before, so if you have any suggestions (even ones that might be obvious) I'd like to hear them.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
its better for you to get a C athlon... faster fsb... and PC2100 ddr... not PC1600 as that will only go with the older and/or slower fsb amds and will limit upgradeability... when building my first pc i found few problems... just take precautions like getting a anti static wrist band (dirt cheap) and working on a wooden surface if possible keeping your hands dry... being the obvious... the annoying things were the power reset switch/led connectors... really annoyed me but that depends on motherboard and case... also have you considered which hard drive you will be getting... youll need a fair bit of space for audio... id presonally go for a couple of ibm's in raid if possible...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

G

Well... the general consensus was that you should run screaming for the hills from AMD processors... that is.. when it comes to DAW’s... (Digital Audio Workstations,.. for the layperson)... BUT... and there’s always a "but"... now, it appears that most, if not all, of the compatibility issues with soundcards that lead people to reject AMD processors have been corrected... so now, those who want to run a DAW are free from the bonds of Intel... :) I myself am getting a brand new Athlon 1.4GHZ 266FSB DDR system just for this reason alone...

BUT... and there’s always a couple of "but"s... You might want to wait... the new SiS735 chipset boards are coming oat and they, so far, have proven themselves to be the surprise blockbuster of the summer, so to speak,... you also might want to wait for reviews of the nForce chipset boards... I myself found the first SiS735 chipset board to hit the marked and pounced on it... now,.. I may find out later that I should have waited for all the reviews... but for now.. I don’t give a crap.. because I’m going to have a screaming fast DAW in a few days and my powers of reason are being hampered by my ecstatic jubilation... go figger.. :p

WATYF

P.S. For more info... go to http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/ and check out their "Computer Recording and Soundcards" section... then check out the rest of the BBS... It's a wealth of information for home recording... not only will you learn everything there is to know about which computer to use... but you'll also learn which soundcard to use... and which mic,... and which mixer... and which editor... and which sequencer... and which compressor... and which.... get the picture?

aster

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
You say the ABIT KG7 is Out. Who has it? I've been waiting for this mobo myself but all the vendors I've checked have not gotten in it yet.