Question Building a NAS from old parts ?

Apr 2, 2022
I am looking to build my first NAS from old parts. I have been reluctant to build a network storage because I have always had bad experiences with accessing files over a network with Windows. Unfortunately do to my file clutter I have a computer that is running with 10 hdds, 2 m.2s, and at least 1 ssd that isn’t connected, with over 20TB of storage. Some of the drives are going on something like 8 years old.

The main reason I want a NAS is because all those drives in my main pc keeps it a bit hot. I have never built anything other than windows PCs. I currently have a AMD Ryzen 7 2700 with a ASUS ROG Strix B350-F and 16gb of RAM to work with. I also added a 2.5gb network card since the most the board supports is 1gb.

So my question is should I go with the B350 board or get another one. I mainly want to get the max transfer speed.
Also how should I set up my drives? I would rather not format, but if I have to I may just go out and buy some. What would be the best cheap drives to buy?
Also I plan on using TrueNAS as the operating system for the NAS, with Windows on the same drive in separate partitions.

And help would be appreciated.

I am looking to build my first NAS from old parts. I have been reluctant to build a network storage because I have always had bad experiences with accessing files over a network with Windows. Unfortunately do to my file clutter I have a computer that is running with 10 hdds, 2 m.2s, and at least 1 ssd that isn’t connected, with over 20TB of storage. Some of the drives are going on something like 8 years old.

The main reason I want a NAS is because all those drives in my main pc keeps it a bit hot. I have never built anything other than windows PCs. I currently have a AMD Ryzen 7 2700 with a ASUS ROG Strix B350-F and 16gb of RAM to work with. I also added a 2.5gb network card since the most the board supports is 1gb.

So my question is should I go with the B350 board or get another one. I mainly want to get the max transfer speed.
Also how should I set up my drives? I would rather not format, but if I have to I may just go out and buy some. What would be the best cheap drives to buy?
Also I plan on using TrueNAS as the operating system for the NAS, with Windows on the same drive in separate partitions.

And help would be appreciated.
Look into a DAS see if that's a better fit for your needs.

USAFRet

Titan
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 with a ASUS ROG Strix B350-F and 16gb of RAM
For a home file server, even that is overkill.
This does NOT need to be anything special or powerful.

I also added a 2.5gb network card
Be careful with your expectations on this. A LOT of the current 2.5 devicess are a bit sketchy in operation. Also, ALL parts in the chain need to be able to run at that speed.

TRENDING THREADS