Building a NES PC

aoichan0707

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Hey all! I know this had been done before on other websites, but I was always disappointed with the builds that involved mauling the case for the back I/O panel. A NES PC build log over at Exoid Forums had me quite intrigued. I decided I'd like to take it to the next level and go for as much stealth as possible whilst using a more powerful platform.

So...let's get started. ;)

Object: Build a PC with the NES case looking as original as possible. (Use all original connectors, keep the original look to the outer case. Also, use NES controllers as USB controllers for emulation.)
Employment: HTPC, Emulation gaming, and some lightweight current games. I also would like this to be pretty capable as a PC.

I decided that I'd rather use a Core 2 over an Atom processor...So this build will be more power hungry and run hotter than the Atom build shown on Exoid.

The Build:

NES case (Don't think I need to provide a picture here... :kaola: )

Mainboard: Zotac GF9300-D-E Mini ITX mainboard w/ Wifi kit

HDD:Fujitsu MHW2160BH SATA 160GB Notebook HDD 5400RPM 8MB Cache

CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8Ghz 3MB L2 Cache

RAM: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

CPU HSF:SILVERSTONE NT07-775 90mm CPU Cooler

PSU: PicoPSU-150-XT + 102W Adapter Power Kit

Case Fans: 3 total: 1 Link Depot FAN-4020-B 40mm Case Fan
2 EVERCOOL FAN-EC4007M12CA 40mm Case Fan

USB Hub: 4 port USB Hub

Other connectors: VGA to S-Video/Composite adapter, HDMI & Toslink extensions/couplers. A couple of power leads salvaged from an old case as well.

OS: Windows 7 RC Build 7100 64bit - I plan to run Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit once it launches.

I have all these items already, only one remains. Retrousb.com sells Retro Kits, which I shall use to rewire the original NES controller ports with some extra USB header cables I had laying around. This will alow the NES controller to be used as a USB controller in Windows. The original Power/Reset/LED bracket is used, as well as the Audio/Video/Power connectors in the back of the system.

Currently I have gutted out the NES and dremeled down some posts for the MB to rest on. I have run the system without the top case to test CPU temps. So far...Core Temp shows the CPU Idle at 37-39C and Prime95 pushed the temps to about 50C after 10-15mins of Small FFT's. This is at stock settings.

All comments and questions are welcome! Build advice as well, but seeing that I have most of the parts already...I don't really plan to deviate too much.

That's all for now, I'll be posting pictures of the build-in-progress very soon.
This thread may even turn into another How-to..... :sweat:

aoichan0707

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
The PSU you linked to is the exact one I have. The power brick is pushing ~102W, is 4 watts really gonna cause trouble?