[SOLVED] Building a new computer for a friend.

AudoJudo

Commendable
Jul 11, 2020
I'm building a new gaming computer for a friend and my question is do I need to transfer steam game files from their old computer to their new one or is it already on steam cloud and they can just download the game and play from where they left off?

Solution
The game itself can be downloaded again from Steam's servers. As for your player saves however, that's on a per-game basis, some games have steam cloud saves enabled so your saves are backed up to Steam's servers but this is something the game developer has to program on their end. So double check the settings of each game that you want to make sure your saves are backed up. It also doesn't hurt to back them up manually, but it can be time consuming. Please note I'm talking about the PLAYER SAVE DATA, not the game itself.
The game itself can be downloaded again from Steam's servers. As for your player saves however, that's on a per-game basis, some games have steam cloud saves enabled so your saves are backed up to Steam's servers but this is something the game developer has to program on their end. So double check the settings of each game that you want to make sure your saves are backed up. It also doesn't hurt to back them up manually, but it can be time consuming. Please note I'm talking about the PLAYER SAVE DATA, not the game itself.

Solution

AudoJudo

Commendable
Jul 11, 2020
How can I check if the game supports cloud saves and how can I back it up manually? i just want to make sure their new computer haves they're save files for their games before take apart they're old computer.

How can I check if the game supports cloud saves and how can I back it up manually? i just want to make sure their new computer haves they're save files for their games before take apart they're old computer.

1. Go to your Steam game library > right click on the game > click properties > In the 'General' section it should show "Keep games saved in steam cloud server" under the 'Steam Cloud' section. If it supports steam cloud saving it will be there, if it doesn't then you won't see that section - it'll just be blank.
  2. Google if the game supports it.
  3. Google where the game saves the save data. Usually it's in the documents folder.

AudoJudo

Commendable
Jul 11, 2020
  1. Go to your Steam game library > right click on the game > click properties > In the 'General' section it should show "Keep games saved in steam cloud server" under the 'Steam Cloud' section. If it supports steam cloud saving it will be there, if it doesn't then you won't see that section - it'll just be blank.
  2. Google if the game supports it.
  3. Google where the game saves the save data. Usually it's in the documents folder.
Alright, thank you.