[SOLVED] Building a new computer with a 3070?

Mar 31, 2020
Hello everyone, i'm looking to build my first PC in December. This post might be sort of long but I have a lot of questions so i'm going to split it up for any of you. (I am a beginner in the PC world so if you respond try to keep a little more basic please haha)

- What I have now

Currently i'm gaming on my best buy pre-build, it has an i7 7700, gtx 1060 3 GB version and 24 GBS of ram. I have that much ram because I do a lot of video editing and i'm getting into 3D stuff. Obviously I don't want my pre build anymore and I'm ready for an upgrade. I'm not buying a PS5 so all my new games will be played on my PC.

-My questions about a 3070 build

First, I want to say that i'm still playing on a 144hz 1080p monitor so I won't be at 1440p or 4k just yet, eventually I will though. My questions were about what CPU could go with the 3070 without bottle-necking it? I was looking to switch to amd and specifically to the ryzen 7 3700x. A friend of mine has a PC with that and a 2060 and he gets great performance. I wanted to try amd because I heard they are better if you are doing video editing and 3D renders because they more cores and threads. What CPU do you guys think would be a good match for the 3070?

-Confusion with motherboard and overall building process of the PC

My biggest worry so far is that i'm going to buy something that isn't powerful enough or simply isn't compatible with the 3070. (Also I don't even know if i'm going to be able to get a 3070 because they might sell out but this is assuming I do get my hands one one lol. ) I don't have a set budget yet but I know I want to spend more than 1k but probably under 1.5k. With that being said i'm sure what I should buy or look to buy motherboard wise. I heard that if you cheap out on a motherboard you will get awful performance with your other parts. I've been watching many YouTube videos but they all focus on the new 3080, which I don't see a need for just yet. If anyone could steer me in the right direction for a build around my price range or even explain maybe why the 3070 isn't my best bet for my budget or something like that I would greatly appreciate it. Last time I posted a question on here someone answered me so fast and with an amazing response so I truly trust everyone on here. Thanks everyone and I hope u all have great days!

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, the 3700x would be ok for the 3070 HOWEVER if you are not going to build until December-ish anyhow, it would make a LOT more sense to be looking at the Zen 3 (Ryzen 5000 series, or so the rumor currently goes, saying they'll be skipping the "4000 series" name scheme for desktop parts) options rather than current gen Ryzen parts, because it's going to have (Likely) around an 8-15% increase in IPC and about a 10% reduction in power consumption, which usually translates into less heat, and also significantly higher clocks.
Yes, the 3700x would be ok for the 3070 HOWEVER if you are not going to build until December-ish anyhow, it would make a LOT more sense to be looking at the Zen 3 (Ryzen 5000 series, or so the rumor currently goes, saying they'll be skipping the "4000 series" name scheme for desktop parts) options rather than current gen Ryzen parts, because it's going to have (Likely) around an 8-15% increase in IPC and about a 10% reduction in power consumption, which usually translates into less heat, and also significantly higher clocks.

Reactions: RJ Stalzer
Solution
Mar 31, 2020
Ok thank u so much, I didn't even know about the zen 3 so I will definitely look into it. And while i'm here do you have any recommendations or opinions for a motherboard that would work well with it? Thanks again man, really appreciate it

There are lot of current boards from among the X570 and B550 offerings that might work well with it, but honestly I would not even worry about that now if you are going to wait because there is supposed to be a release of 600 series boards around the time the Zen 3 parts are realized and it would be prudent to wait and see what that looks like before making any kind of decisions on a motherboard.